UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2012, 6:40 pm   #1
ssaunders
Triode

Default 120 volt battery

All,

I've just got a GEC 4046 on the workbench. Problem 1: what to do about batteries. I've seen a number of designs for 90volt eliminators but does anyone know the whereabouts of a 120 volt eliminator (perhaps with 2 volts for the LT)? I'd prefer not to take the multiple PP3 route if at all possible.

Thanks

Simon
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 7:34 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: 120 volt battery

Hi Simon, cheap PP3's are a good start for testing, but for real use you need an eliminator.
A lot of the designs use voltage multipliers from a lowish voltage to derive the 90 volts; simply add an additional stage of diode and resistor. The theory is normally found if you Google "cockroft/ walton voltage multiplier".

The LT supply is usually from an LM317 regulator chip with a bit of crafty circuitry to get it to work down to 2 volts, with possibly a crowbar circuit to protect valuable filaments.

You may also need a GB supply, which can be virtually anything with a chain of resistive dividers for the voltages required.

Ed
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 7:34 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaunders View Post
I'd prefer not to take the multiple PP3 route if at all possible.
Why not?
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 7:44 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

You could use an LT mains transformer and back feed the secondary with the appropriate voltage to arrive at 100/110V secondary. It works for me.
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 9:00 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good quality PP3s need not be expensive, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-DURACEL...item230b9cf162
Old 22nd Dec 2012, 9:13 pm   #6

A 20V RMS transformer with two voltage doublers one positive and one negative would give about 120V. With modern cheap large capacitors there will be no hum. Or this https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66030 would last for ages.

Old 22nd Dec 2012, 9:58 pm   #7
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

I tend to put two transformers back to back, i.e. the 2nd in reverse. The low AC voltage can be rectified and regulated for the heaters (and any dial lamps) and the higher AC voltage can be half wave rectified and a single smoothing cap used for the 120 volts. A suitable resistor will drop any excess voltage as the current is low.
I buy cheap wallwart adaptors from car boots for this purpose.

Rob
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 1:02 am   #8
audion_1908
Hexode

I have tried cheap wallwart type adapters but most have terrible regulation, but I have used two wallwart type transformers back to back and neon voltage regulation tube controlled transistor to make a 230v in 90v isolated and regulated power supply.

The older heavier wallwart type adapters have better regulation.
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 9:40 am   #9
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Regulation of the ht supply does not seem to much of an issue as long as it does not rise too high. I did try using an LM317 but it didn't offer any improvement in use.
The current drawn by these battery sets is only a few milliamps and easily supplied by a small transformer.
Regulation of the LT side is of course far more important as the battery valve filaments are fragile but a LM317 copes well as it only has to drop a couple of volts at low current.

Rob
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 5:49 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
The LT supply is usually from an LM317 regulator chip with a bit of crafty circuitry to get it to work down to 2 volts
Not particularly crafty. A LM317 works down to 1.25V (tail direct to 0V a la 7805 etc) and any higher voltage within its limits just needs two resistors to program. Add a couple of capacitors for stability and a heatsink if it's dissipating more than about a watt and that's it- apart from extras like crowbars or why.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 6:20 pm   #11
ssaunders
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaunders View Post
I'd prefer not to take the multiple PP3 route if at all possible.
Why not?
I guess I'd like to get a more permanent solution for use with other battery sets - which kinda gives me an idea for a design project where those interested on the forum perhaps could collaborate - a universal battery eliminator. I class myself as on the less technically qualified side but happy draw and write for those with less ability in that area. I'd be happy to build the prototype to prove it suitable for er... the less able?

Any volunteers or thoughts on specification beyond covering HT 90 and 120V and LT 2V?
Old 23rd Dec 2012, 6:47 pm   #12

I made this https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...2&d=1227122816 it has 60, 90 & 120V HT, 2V LT and variable negative grid bias, one of the advantages of using the voltage multiplier approach is that you can easily tap down for various HTs.

Old 23rd Dec 2012, 8:03 pm   #13
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

And here is another. There are many ways of doing the job, just use what components you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryRadioPSU.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	74257  
Old 27th Dec 2012, 3:33 pm   #14
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjkmannering View Post
Regulation of the LT side is of course far more important as the battery valve filaments are fragile but a LM317 copes well as it only has to drop a couple of volts at low current.
One caveat - the LM317 is a bit noisy. I used one once to regulate LT on a battery radio and was very disappointed with the radio - lots of mush but only a few stations - until I stuck a big capacitor across the LM317 output.

You do need to do this as a few microvolts of broadband noise on the LT line is effectively in series with the input signal!
Old 27th Dec 2012, 8:35 pm   #15
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

As Kalee20 has said, LM 317's need a big cap on the output. Best combination is an e-cap and a 0.1 plastic type. You should then also add a diode in inverse parallel back across the chip. This is to discharge the output cap at the same rate as the input.
If the input goes down first the chip is quite likely to die.

Ed
Old 27th Dec 2012, 9:48 pm   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

Not a plastic 100nF, ideally, but a ceramic one; which has a lower self-inductance.
Old 28th Dec 2012, 7:35 pm   #17
kalee20
Dekatron

That may be an old wives' tale. Most small plastic capacitors are metallised film with sprayed-on end electrode connections, thus effectively forming the same geometry as multilayer ceramics.
Old 29th Dec 2012, 8:15 pm   #18
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Small PCB transformers are quite cheap. I just take three of them with 250V primaries and 15-0-15 secondrys. Connect the primaries in parallel across the mains. Connect the three ends of the 15-0-15 (30V) in series and you get 90V AC. Feed this into a normal bridge rectifier and smoothing circuit and it comes out at about 120 Volts. Rather simple, but it works OK for me.
Bob
Closed Thread