UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2016, 1:55 pm   #1
GeeTeeCee
Triode

Question Do you recognize this (allegedly) Mullard radio?

Trying to identify the model of a 5-valve Mullard radiogram chassis that made its way to Australia, possibly from the UK.

At the top left of the dial glass, partially obscured, is the word Hornbrook, which we are given to believe may refer to a re-seller in Yorkshire.

Unfortunately the cabinet is no longer around, and the markings on 4 of the 5 valves have been obliterated. The known valve is EBF89. A Plessey capacitor is dated Oct/60.

Hoping that somebody may recognize the dial in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard-chassis-2-020416.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	122246  
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 2:36 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Do you recognize this Mullard radio?

A picture from the back might help.

The tuning scale shows it was indeed made for the British market.

Are you sure it's Mullard? Mullard was basically Philips, and it doesn't look very Philipsy to me. It's also a bit downmarket for Philips - most mid market radiograms would have covered VHF/FM by 1960/61.

You normally find EBF89s in 3 valve plus rectifier short superhets - ECH81, EBF89, EL84. A 4 valve setup at that time would have been ECH81, EF89, EBC81, EL84.

Hornbrooks appears to be / have been a department store in Leeds. It was normal for such stores to have radios and other electrical equipment made for them by contractors to be sold under a house brand. Partly this was to avoid the Retail Price Maintenance rules, which allowed manufacturers to specify the retail prices for their branded products.
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 3:30 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Philips/Mullard usually have a distinctive style of construction. Can you post pictures of the chassis and underside wiring? That will be more conclusive.
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 5:28 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This certainly does not look like a Mullard, other than it uses their valves. The fact that is AM only and dates from as late as 1960, suggests it was a budget chassis made for the home assembler or for a pared-down, low priced, mono radiogram (probably with a BSR Autochanger) sold via Mail Order or in Furniture/Department Stores. The CIVIC brand was a example of this. Edward
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 2:39 am   #5
GeeTeeCee
Triode

Many thanks indeed for the replies. The house brand theory may be on the money.

Owner stated Mullard in his post but he may be mistaken. He may be going by the brand on the one valve that is still readable.

When I looked on Radiomuseum, I did see some UK models that have a similar style of dial, with rear-lit rectangular station markings.

The owner has provided some above chassis photos (below). I can request below chassis shot if that is still deemed useful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mullard-chassis 2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	122266   Click image for larger version

Name:	mullard-chassis 3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	122267  
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 8:20 am   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
The house brand theory may be on the money.
I would agree, there were several chassis such as this sold through the various magazines in the early sixties. I think you will be very lucky to identify the actual manufacturer.

Mark
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 8:30 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Well it's not Philips/Mullard! There is what looks like a 6AT6 valve presumably driving the output pair (looks like a pair of EL84's). GEC/Sobel and KB were fond of using that valve (also known as EBC90). Really though it's anyone's guess...
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 8:30 am   #8
thermionic
Heptode

That output transformer looks suspect. Trying to identify the valve line up, it could have a push pull output.

SimonT.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 10:04 am   #9
camtechman
Nonode

This is the second question about a Mullard radio from "down under"

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=Mullard+radio
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 10:36 am   #10
paulsherwin

What an odd chassis. If it really is an AM short superhet combined with a push pull amplifier then it's a first for me. I can only think that it was primarily intended to function as a record player with basic radio functionality added almost as an afterthought.

I agree the smaller transformer (output?) looks like a fairly late replacement.

Does it have a selenium rectifier?
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 12:10 pm   #11
GeeTeeCee
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
This is the second question about a Mullard radio from "down under"
Radiomuseum sums it up pretty well:
Quote:
Mullard - Australia Pty Ltd. / Associated with Mullard London. Known as manufacturer of Radios and Tubes. Mullard radios sold in Australia from 1937 to 1939 were made by Airzone 1931 Ltd and from 1939 (there is some overlap) to 1954 by Philips Australia. The Mullard name was discontinued for radios after 1954.
Owner has supplied this under-chassis photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mullard-chassis- 4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	122273  
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 12:19 pm   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would not have thought that this was a push-pull design in such a basic unit. I would think the valves side-by-side are an EL84 (or equivalent) and an EZ80 (or equivlnet). Both have the similarly sized envlopes. Edward
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 1:53 pm   #13
GeeTeeCee
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
What an odd chassis. If it really is an AM short superhet combined with a push pull amplifier then it's a first for me. I can only think that it was primarily intended to function as a record player with basic radio functionality added almost as an afterthought.
It is a sparse looking effort, I agree. Looks built to a budget. House brand quite likely.

Under-chassis photo (see post above) shows a rectifier valve socket attached to the power transformer.

As to the suggested brand, owner recalls the radiogram having a cardboard card on that he thinks referred to a Mullard model number.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 2:05 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
This certainly does not look like a Mullard, other than it uses their valves.
Every post since reinforces this, akin to Monarch being the make of all unidentified record players. The Hornbrook name is probably a red herring too. The address in Google is residential, apart from one odd reference to a department store which I've never heard of. It appears to be a registered office for a HR company, in a private house.
We had a similar query some time ago about small lettering on the edge of a dial glass, and it turned out to be the dial manufacturer, not the radio.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 2:49 pm   #15
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The dial glass has a very Pye look to me, but I have been wrong more times than right.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 3:50 pm   #16
paulsherwin

It's possible that this is actually an (electronically) reasonably conventional 4 valve superhet but with an odd selection of valve types: ECH81/EBF89/6AT6/EL84. There would be some unused diodes there. Maybe the manufacturer designed around whichever valves could be had cheaply at the time, though this attitude was dying out even amongst small manufacturers by 1960.

I think I can see a couple of Hunts Mouldseal caps in there which should be changed if this chassis is going to be used. One cap seems to have been changed already.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 5:15 pm   #17
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTeeCee View Post
Under-chassis photo (see post above) shows a rectifier valve socket attached to the power transformer.
Yes I agree now having seen the underside. Definitely a rectifier valve. So it's just a simple single-ended output stage with a reasonably conventional valve line-up...probably an ECH81, EF89, EBC90, EL84 and EZ80 (or whatever the 6xxx equivalents are).

Still doesn't look very Philips or Mullard underneath...nothing like their normal method of construction. The IF transformers are definitely not Mullard/Philips. Also too simple. Looks like it's a circuit that's 'cut to the bone'.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 7:17 pm   #18
paulsherwin

It doesn't use any Philips 'black pitch' capacitors, which all Philips sets used until the early 60s.
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 11:40 pm   #19
GeeTeeCee
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
... akin to Monarch being the make of all unidentified record players.
Step up and take first prize.

The owner has subsequently drawn attention to this eBay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Civi...-/171794219406

Civic brand with Monarch turntable. Who made Civic?
Old 4th Apr 2016, 12:14 am   #20
AC/HL
Dekatron

Civic was a chain store brand, Currys I think, so the radiogram is identified. The selling price is interesting however.
Closed Thread