UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2014, 6:06 pm   #1
kentplums
Hexode

Default 100n 'x' cap

Hi again
I have some of these - could I use as direct replacement of 0.1µf despite them being 'x's?
Cheers
R
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 7:33 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 100n 'x' cap

Do you mean X i.e. mains rated? They should be OK. Just bear in mind that X caps, having been optimised for one purpose, might have compromised on other issues.
Old 4th Apr 2014, 8:51 am   #3
ricard
Octode

I've regularly used 100n X caps as replacements for the hideous Rifa caps in old Tandberg tape recorders. The tend to have the same form factor (at least for machines that use PC boards), so they are basically a drop-in replacement, and can be found for nothing by pulling them out of old set-top box power supplies and equipment of similar size.

Although as Dave says X caps might not be optimized for Hi-Fi, they're still way better than the caps they are replacing in this case.
Old 4th Apr 2014, 12:44 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Better, unless the X caps in question are (RIFA) paper caps...
Old 4th Apr 2014, 1:20 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
I've regularly used 100n X caps... can be found for nothing by pulling them out of old set-top box power supplies and equipment of similar size.
I'd be very cautious of that. There are threads from people who have found that capacitance is markedly lower than what it should be. Not totally surprising, with the occasional high-voltage glitch on the mains, zapping a small area of the capacitor (which, in accordance with its X rating, fails safe).

Best test such salvaged capacitors. I'd be surprised if there is any evidence of leakage, but not at all surprised if it was nearly open-circuit.
Old 4th Apr 2014, 2:01 pm   #6
kentplums
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Better, unless the X caps in question are (RIFA) paper caps...
Ooops - just read the truth about RIFA, which mine in fact are. Thanks to all.
There are still many for sale on ebay etc, so that's where mine will be going too...

Cheers
R
Old 5th Apr 2014, 12:48 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Caveat Emptor indeed.........

.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Apr 2014, 4:58 am   #8
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Sounds a good solution to disposal of dubious yet sought-after items when quite good ones such as
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...acitor-10-5784 can be had for 10p each.
Though if I had acquired a number of them considerably more cheaply than that and having a Megger to test them at 1kV or more and in the unlikely event of most passing, it could be a different story.
Closed Thread