UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2019, 12:25 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default 114 kc/s notch filter in Stereo FM Tuners

I have discovered that B&O (for example) included a 114 kc/s filter between the IF stage output and the stereo decoder in some of its designs. I wonder why this was?

114 is 3 times the stereo subcarrier frequency - but this filter is before stereo decoding. Were some FM transmitters radiating a low level third harmonic?
Old 26th Jan 2019, 12:44 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: 114 kc/s notch filter in Stereo FM Tuners

I have not read all this but it gives some information , I will read it later, may help you.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/ibocfltr.htm
Old 26th Jan 2019, 1:15 pm   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you for the link Nuvistor - I had not even heard of HD Radio in that context!

By the way: the B&O unit is a B&O BeoCenter 2100 Type 2442, which is likely to have been made between 1985-88. So the use of this filter seems to predate the USA digital Radio efforts by quite a few years. I still wonder then why B&O included it?
Old 26th Jan 2019, 5:44 pm   #4
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

A switching decoder (i.e. almost all stereo decoders) will demodulate any signal in the vicinity of three times the subcarrier frequency. Many FM tuners have a low pass filter to stop this from happening. Perhaps B&O felt this was insufficient, or wanted something to put in their marketing?
Old 26th Jan 2019, 6:19 pm   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

Yes, audio spurii are likely to occur if there is another transmission 300kHz either side of the wanted. For this reason, the BBC national services from Crystal Palace are offset 4kHz from the nominal freq. which is 300kHz from Wrotham.
BBC Research Report

It's good here
Closed Thread