UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2013, 7:38 pm   #1
woodchips
Octode

Default Zone Plate Generator

Another find from the depths of the shed. A search indicates that it is some type of composite video tester, my one did come from the BBC. The question is, is it of more general use outside of video? Not really found any understandable description of what it does and why. It is in a very large tin box and the space it occupies could be more usefully employed, unless it is useful.

Thanks
Old 6th Jul 2013, 9:31 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Zone Plate Generator

Purely a video item. It makes a pattern of loads of circles which make certain sorts of distortion and interference visible. Once a high faluting piece of kit.

David
Old 7th Jul 2013, 9:42 am   #3
beamcurrent
Heptode

Hi Woodchips

There are a few collectors of old BBC kit, so there could be some interest in it? so please don't break it up. Here is a BBC heavy duty paper describing the zone plate http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1978-23.pdf

What age is your unit? is there a type number? Picture?

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 7th Jul 2013, 4:44 pm   #4
woodchips
Octode

Ah, it was made, very poorly, by VG Electronics with the chips dated 1979/80. The socketted 74 logic has now joined my misc stock.
Old 13th Feb 2014, 9:20 pm   #5
Doctor Hue
Triode

Amazing that you still have one of these. Was it working before you took the 74 chips out? Could it still be got working ?

I'm currently trying to build a 405 line standards converter ( see other thread ) and thought I'd emulate a 2D Zone Plate generator to prove the back end. The VG generator was actually a 3D Zone Plate Generator as it had controls for:
t, y, yt, t^2, y^2, phi, x, xt, xy and x^2.

I've managed to get x^2, y^2, yt, xt, and t implemented so far in a single Xilinx chip.

It would be great to bring it back to life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bw-zp-dh-3-p1.gif
Views:	113
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	89045  

Last edited by Doctor Hue; 13th Feb 2014 at 9:28 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2014, 7:11 pm   #6
woodchips
Octode

Never tested it, didn't then and still don't now know what they do. Isn't it something the standard video generators can do?
Closed Thread