UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2018, 4:36 pm   #41
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 'Danger Man' aboard the estuary forts (Radio 390)

Sing something simple... Agh! total aversion therapy. Dad used to listen to it on the car radio if we were going anywhere at that time.

My brother and I used to croon "Sing something sinful..." and make up alternative words for the rest of it. Anything to discourage him, it was that bad.

David
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 4:47 pm   #42
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
Asa kid I loved the tv show UFO. Now I see it as a Gerry Anderson first attempt at live humans, and it has severe short comings...but all the same it remains excellent story telling and of coursr, wonderful models and my spine still tingles at the UFO itself. Anderson and Meddings. Genii.
We'll be told off for going on about Gerry Anderson in this thread, but I'm a big fan of his stuff and in one interview he told the story of how - when he finally got to use 'real humans' in the first ep of UFO - he insisted on being the big-shot Director, despite not having the foggiest. His lack of experience showed up in the editing process, where there were some linking scenes not covered and many awkward plot kinks. It was too late to re-shoot so the editors had to be very clever to get that episode to hang together. Suitably chastened, he called in 'proper directors' after that. A great bloke, and not afraid of owning up to his 'warts and all'. Sorry for the diversion.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 6:59 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
One of the announcements on 390 was along the lines of "Eve, the women's magazine of the air" but I didn't listen to that. What I did listen to was the Mike Raven R&B show on 390, straight after Pick of the Pops on the Light and therefore avoiding Sing Something Simple...
I think Mike's show transferred directly to Radio One in '67.
Graham
Ah, Mike Raven "Soul Serenade" I used to be a regular listener, apparently he's buried up on Bodmin Moor.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 7:15 pm   #44
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd say that Lew Grade and ITC had a lot to answer for - in a good way. Filmed in colour way before they needed to and with good production values, and with an eye to the export market, series like Danger Man, Randall and Hopkirk, The Persuaders, The Champions and of course The Avengers certainly raised the bar for other home grown series.
In the Eighties I worked with a sound editor who used to work on Thunderbirds and other of Mr Anderson's work. He seemed surprised at my enthusiasm - I suppose it was just a job for him.
Will whoever mentioned Sing Something Simple (with the Addams Family) please stand in the corner?
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 8:17 pm   #45
Andrew2
Nonode

Don't forget that The Avengers was an ABC production, not ITC. Sorry to be pedantic, Glyn!
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:59 pm   #46
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Will whoever mentioned Sing Something Simple (with the Addams Family) please stand in the corner?
Back in the day I'd have much rather been listening to Radio Caroline than the Light Programme but on a Sunday afternoon car ride with a Philips Portable on the rear shelf the Light was all that would penetrate - especially in the midlands. Nowadays Sing Something Simple and Semprini Serenade take me wistfully back to those long gone sunny summer afternoons out with my parents.

A couple of years ago I found a Cliff Adams CD of Christmas Songs in a charity shop. We played it during Christmas lunch and our little gathering (who were once with-it groovy young things) really quite enjoyed it - it made a change from Slade's screaming Noddy, that dreadful dirge by The Pogues and whatever rubbish was being served up on TV. I find the great thing about getting older is I no longer find any need, or indeed any desire, to appear cool and trendy.

I would have skilfully skipped past Radio 'Strictly for Squares' 390 on my Philips Popmaster, however, as I said upthread, if it were around today I think I might enjoy it. Radio 390 v Zoe Ball: No contest!
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 10:44 pm   #47
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I used to listen to, and enjoy, programs like 'Sing Something Simple' and 'Semprini Serenade', as well as the output of Radios Caroline, London, etc., and also liked 390, including Mike Raven's programs. Even 50 or more years ago my tastes in music were quite wide! Going Back to the programs about the Radio forts in the U-tube link, on Sunday i watched part of that series. Must try and find time to watch more of the footage!
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 10:47 pm   #48
Sideband
Dekatron

Just Google Radio 390 and you will find lots of 'samples' from Radio 390 broadcasts. Quality varies from good to poor depending on how they were recorded. The 'Pirate Radio Hall of Fame' is also a good site to visit.
Old 4th Oct 2018, 9:32 am   #49
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I imagine programmes like Sing Something Simple and so on were like some of the the TVs we had to work on back in the day - we hated them then but now we like them through the spectacles of nostalgia!
Wet Sunday afternoons - Parkin's Patch, Randall and Hopkirk then TV off for Sing Something Simple....
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:17 am   #50
ex seismic
Heptode

I remember having to endure the Billy Cotton Band Show because it was on before the Navy Lark.

gmb
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:31 am   #51
terrykc
Rest in Peace

That was to make sure you were awake!
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:32 am   #52
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex seismic View Post
I remember having to endure the Billy Cotton Band Show
Wakey Wakey!
Old 5th Oct 2018, 12:22 pm   #53
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Sorry to disagree with others, but I always liked the Billy Cotton Band Show (and the programs which followed it on the Light on Sundays (Navy Lark, Meet the Huggetts, etc., Movie Go Round and Pick of the Pops)
Old 5th Oct 2018, 8:11 pm   #54
Radio Wrangler

Billy Cotton Band Show... another dread from my past. Jimmy Clitheroe, too. These things just had to be endured waiting for the good stuff.

The Navy Lark was superb.

I was rather fond of the schoolboy humour in "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again" perhaps because I was a schoolboy at the time. They did one of the absolute funniest jests I've ever heard on the radio. They took a number of standard numbers from musicaals and expurgated them:

I could have <BEEP>d all night
I could have <BEEP>d all night
And still have <BEEP>d some more
I could have spread my <BEEP>s and <BEEP>d a thousand things I've never <BEEP>d before.
I'll never know what made it so exciting, for all at once my <BEEP> <BEEP> <BEEP>....

Of course, we all knew what the real words were, but the censoring made it sound unbelievably rude!

I've never heard it done since. Kudos to Garden, Oddy and Brooke-Taylor.. and whoever wrote it.

Gems like this made up for dreary Sunday afternoons on the way to relatives while suffering Sing Something Sinful.

David
Old 5th Oct 2018, 10:26 pm   #55
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Sorry to disagree with others, but I always liked the Billy Cotton Band Show (and the programs which followed it on the Light on Sundays (Navy Lark, Meet the Huggetts, etc., Movie Go Round and Pick of the Pops)
Your not alone, I quite liked Billy Cotton too...."Breezaaaay" I seem to remember from somewhere...

Lawrence.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 10:36 pm   #56
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Sadly, you can listen to the Clitheroe Kid now, most days on 'British Comedy Radio UK' or 'ROK Classic Radio-British Comedy Channel'. But possibly, even worse than the Kid, the Al Read Show ?

B
Old 6th Oct 2018, 10:41 am   #57
emeritus
Dekatron

Re #54,something similar was done in an episode of "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue ". One song was the one about " He would row, row, row along the river", with "row" and other words bleeped. I don't recall the others.
Closed Thread