UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2018, 10:32 am   #81
Cobaltblue

Default Re: re Radiomuseum downloads

It's tough posting from just a mobile which is what I am mostly having to do to due to lack of a working home to get across the complexities of things like motives and aims of RM

Like Cracke I want people to have positive outcomes with RM.

That's more easily achieved when RM is better understood.

So hopefully this thread is helping to achieve this.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:24 am   #82
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Very interesting thread. I have toyed with joining RM but with a tiny collection I'd not be uploading pictures or contributing articles. I could pay but would be rather miffed to loose out on points just by looking at pictures, to me that seems like taking the mick!
Regarding copyright no one surely would dream of forwarding diagrams from Paul's discs, that's just stupid, the originals though will be in the public domain unless they have been purchased from the copyright holder, always best to confirm this prior to uploading anything.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:49 am   #83
crackle
Rest in Peace

I don't see a problem here, even small collections may have something that is missing from Rmorg, or a photo of your radio could be uploaded which may be better than one already there. There are some models with far from satisfactory photos, maybe just an image from a service manual, I know I have uploaded quite a few B&W images when there has been nothing else available, something is better than nothing.
Remember that uploading a single photo of a radio in your collection, even if there are others already on the radio model gives you 1800 points, viewing the full size photos on RM only uses up 3 points.
You do not use up any points for viewing any pages or clicking on any of the photos or schematics in the right hand windows to see then in the large window with the watermark still on them.
Points are only used up if you click on a photo (or a schematic page) in the large window to view it full size without the watermark.
So you can see uploading one photo could potentially be enough for a casual user to last all year. The system is really generous on points for anything which is contributed to the museum.
Below are details of the type of activity that they expect a new member to contribute before their membership is fully activated.

Requirements for free membership;
Adding either 19 collector prices or 12 new models or 12 pictures of his/her own (or 19 others) or completing / enhancing 19 fields for models or uploading 4 schematics.
Then all you have to do is the occasional upload to build up your points.

I hope this helps clarify how the Radio Museum works, it really is geared around a community contributing, helping each other and sharing.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 19th Aug 2018 at 9:55 am.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:05 am   #84
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Thank you Mike for the helpful reply.
From the thread I have got the feeling that there is no little middle ground, many dislike RM many think it is brilliant. Now that doesn't work in real life, many people will say "its OK but" so the devotees of RM say its great then there is the total opposite. I have a few home built crystal sets and a couple of again home built early valve radios and then the ubiquitous DAC90A and a few scrappers, nothing noteworthy. I'm more interested in others collections and it one reason I like to browse websites and when well see my friends that are local to me.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:09 am   #85
Panrock
Nonode

All far too complicated and fussy for me.

Sorry.

Steve
Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:20 am   #86
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
...Requirements for free membership;
Adding either 19 collector prices or 12 new models or 12 pictures of his/her own (or 19 others) or completing / enhancing 19 fields for models or uploading 4 schematics.
Then all you have to do is the occasional upload to build up your points.

I hope this helps clarify how the Radio Museum works, it really is geared around a community contributing, helping each other and sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Perhaps but at least I now understand (and it explains why I see members trawling eBay for new photo's to upload). Based on the extensive collection on RM I think 12 new models would be a challenge for anyone (I think I have one that's not on now) but 12 pictures from my own collection would not be a problem.
If I can find the time to take some decent pictures I may even try to join again on that basis ... if I've understood the criteria correctly?

John
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:19 am   #87
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
Copying pictures from other sites to me is cheating and not being honest about your own collection.
I for one won't be party to that.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:32 am   #88
crackle
Rest in Peace

When you upload a photo you have to confirm if it is from your own collection.
If it is not then you tick to confirm it is not your own collection and give details of where the image is from. For instance if it is an image from ebay, you give details of the ebay auction number and the ebay seller name. It is normally an accepted practice if the source of the photo is credited, but the photo admin person will decide depending on where the photo has come from.
The photo will be approved, or not, depending on the quality and if the rules are followed, by the Photo Administrator, who incidentally is a very busy person, I believe this job is mostly done by one volunteer.

If the quality is really really poor then it may not be accepted if there are already good photos for the model. an automated email will advise you if it is not accepted.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 19th Aug 2018 at 11:57 am.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:42 am   #89
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Ditto from me, sadly.

Al.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:49 am   #90
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
I think if I did ever decide to join I'd only submit genuine pictures from my own collection, warts and all.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:50 am   #91
crackle
Rest in Peace

What is wrong with fussy and complicated, I would imagine everyone has pride in the work they do when restoring a radio. Sometimes the more complicated a radio restoration is the more rewarding.

I think it is more to do with perception, reputation and how familiar you are with the process.

Do you have a web page of your radio collection yet? Give it a chance, persevere, and look back at your own web page showing your personal collection.

You can add your collection of valves and transistors too.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 19th Aug 2018 at 11:56 am.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:54 am   #92
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
... the Photo Administrator, who ********** is a very busy person ...
Has the auto-correct bitten you there Mike ?

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 19th Aug 2018 at 12:14 pm.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:57 am   #93
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
What is wrong with fussy and complicated, I would imagine everyone has pride in the work they do when restoring a radio. Sometimes the more complicated a radio restoration is the more rewarding.

I think it is more to do with perception, reputation and how familiar you are with the process.

Do you have a web page of your radio collection yet? Give it a chance, persevere, and look back at your own web page showing your personal collection.
Hello.
Who wants to sit in front of a screen for hours if the whole process is fussy or complex?
It has no need to be.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:58 am   #94
crackle
Rest in Peace

Thanks Graeme
Phew. just had time to correct that.

Mike
Old 19th Aug 2018, 12:31 pm   #95
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Cassidy View Post
Who wants to sit in front of a screen for hours if the whole process is fussy or complex?
It has no need to be.
Obviously a few public spirited people if you look at the names that appear again and again

If you look at the administration required it has to be a formal process it's different on a forum a lot of the administration and even the identification is done by other forum members.

And I bet the forum moderators will tell you they still have their hands full sometimes.

I guess if it's not for you then you can still continue to use RM in the way you do now

Sometimes grabing a picture from eBay might be the o my way to get a picture up.

Cheers.

Mike T
Old 19th Aug 2018, 12:59 pm   #96
Station X

I won't be uploading any images from eBay.

However looking round the house I've identified four "new" models which aren't listed on the site. They'd slipped my mind before because they're items which I purchased new in the 1980's and are still in daily use. I don't regard them as part of my collection.

I'll upload them when I get a chance.

Is there a facility for uploading unknown models (not makes)? I know these get discussed in the RM forums, but I'd rather discuss them on UKVRR&R.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 1:19 pm   #97
crackle
Rest in Peace

The Radio Museum is complex, and most members are fussy about the quality of the photos and accuracy of the information they add and how they add it.
This is a good thing, the complexity of the database and the massive yes massive structure of the web site means it has to be this way, in order to maintain a degree of continuity and professionalism.
If one has pride in the difficult tasks that they achieve then no doubt they can handle "fussy and complex issues".
Its all to do with pride, perseverance and personality of the individual.

If you have convinced yourself that the Radio Museum is not your cup of tea, well then good, that's OK, you can continue to use the facility for free, but do you really need to keep repeating your negative views on here.

I do hope this discussion has been helpful, I have found out things I did not know before. I also hope it has made some think about the Radio Museum and its value for all you vintage radio collectors, and that some who have not joined may now consider joining and giving it a go.

This was not a thread that I started and I hope the original poster has had their questions answered.
As I have said if anybody wants help with using the Radio Museum then please contact me, PM or email or through my contact on the KB Museum website.

thanks
Mike
Old 19th Aug 2018, 1:23 pm   #98
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Graham
Yes there is a process for proposing a new model, I am happy to discuss it on here or even over a skype call.
There are excellent tutorials I will see if there is one I can post here.

Mike
Old 19th Aug 2018, 1:34 pm   #99
Station X

I have no problems with proposing a new models. I've done it twice before.

Just interested to know whether I can propose an unknown model.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 1:40 pm   #100
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Graham
Sorry I misunderstood.
Yes they can be proposed and marked as unknown, is the maker known, do you think it is a self build?
Have the radios been discussed on here, it may be an idea to use the combined experience of the UKVRRR members to try and identify them first.
I have to admit I too have items, hifi, flat screen TV etc. which I have not uploaded. It is probably better to do it whilst they still have the manuals to get the information correct etc.

I have just copied this list of items from the draft RM manual that is still being written.

What new models are accepted
I must stress this is a draft proposal, but many of these items are already accepted including TV's, they dont have to be vintage, it is better to add them now rather than in 20 or 80 years time when nobody knows anything about them
All radio receivers
Commercial receivers
Amateur receivers
Detector radio’s (Crystal radio’s, radios without tubes or transistors)
All television sets and monitors
Car radio’s and car sound players/recorders
Combination models (Radio and/or phonograph and/or TV, etc...)
Television cameras and studio equipment
Digital/Analog terrestrial, Internet and SAT receivers
Radio modules and parts
Pre-stage adapters/converters (SW/FM/VHF/UHF, etc) and frequency converters
RF Amplifiers
Transmitter and Receiver, Amateur Transmitter/Receiver
Transmitter, Amateur Transmitter
Military Equipment
Mobile Equipment
Citizen Band Equipment
Morse Cose Equipment, including keys
Microphones and pick-up elements
Loudspeakers, headphones, earphones
Antennas, Couplers
Cabinets only
Power supplies/conditioners, battery chargers
Audio Amplifiers, mixers
Sound/Video Recorder and/or Player
Talking Machine – Mechanical Gramaphone/Phonograph
Test Equipment, Service or Lab Equipment
Radio and/or Test Equipment Kits and/or building instructions
Amateur Equipment
Catalogs, other paper documentation (Check if this is better uploaded to the literature finder)
Medical devices that contain at least 1 tube (added by Mike Edwards "or transistor")

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 19th Aug 2018 at 1:53 pm.
Closed Thread