UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:06 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Probes used with TMK TEM-1555B Insulation Tester?

Some time ago I bought a TMK TEM-1555B which is in G.W.O. c/w carrying case and instruction booklet. However there were no test leads or probes with it. On the rare occasions I've used this instrument since, it has been with a pair of leads/probes with spring-loaded tips, and internal fuses I bought from CPC. Whilst these are adequately rated, and O.K., I've often wondered what leads & probes would have been supplied new with this insulation tester, which measures up to 200 Megohms @ 500vDC, and 500vAC @ 40-70Hz. Does anyone know the answer to that question?
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:59 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Probes used with TMK TEM-1555B Insulation Tester?

I recently refurbished one of these and have since found it to be a very useful little instrument. Sadly mine has also lost its original leads. However, looking at the picture in the instruction leaflet I suspect that the probes were nothing special and that they may have been the same as those supplied with TMK multimeters of the same vintage. Doubt if there is a real need for fused probes as the meter has its own internal circuit fuse (with spare). Whatever probes are used it's worth adding some shrink fit to any exposed conductor at the tips as 500V stings! The leaflet also states that two crocodile clips were originally included and I bet they weren't well insulated either.

It seems to me that the quality of the leads has most effect when using the low end of the Ohms range. My AVO 8 leads, for example, have a total measured resistance of 0.2 Ohms whereas the economy leads that came with my DMM measure 0.8 Ohms. At the end of the day I guess these differences don't matter much providing the additional resistance is taken into account when taking measurements.

I wonder if anyone out there does have a set of original leads?

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 23rd Mar 2018 at 1:02 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:01 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Points taken & noted, Alan. However, as I have the leads/fused probes, and can fit crocodile clips to them, I may as well use them on the TEM1555B, and on my DMM. The only thing I don't like about them, although I fully understand why they're present, are the insulated sleeves over the probe tips, which have to be pushed inwards to make contact, not always easy in practice. Incidentally, if you have the TMK instruction leaflet, you'll have noticed an error in it -viz. it states that the fuse is a 500mA type, whereas in fact it is a 2A type, confirmed by a printed label adjacent to the fuseholder in the meter!
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:16 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Yes, the fuse anomaly is very strange especially as the instructions contain dire warnings of measurement inaccuracies if an incorrectly rated fuse is used.

Like you I use my DMM leads/probes with the TEM -1555B.

Alan
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:50 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I haven't used my DMM Leads/Probes with the TEM1555B, Alan, but have used the fused Probes/leads I obtained from CPC (Still available at around £7 a pair, btw) with both meters. The leads in question are 'TEAMA' branded, and marked 'Category III'

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 23rd Mar 2018 at 10:55 pm.
Closed Thread