UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2014, 1:07 pm   #1
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Default Wireless World oscilloscope March 1969.

I wonder if anyone here has built this project in the past? It is a solid-state oscilloscope project published in Wireless World March 1969.
Link : http://www.keith-snook.info/wireless...20Phillips.pdf

My question is this; does anyone have the circuit diagram of the remainder of this project?

I was thinking of the cathode ray tube power supply, controls for the deflection, focus etc. The diagrams in the link above show the power supplies for the transistor circuits and a valve voltage regulator for the "ht" side of things.

I feel certain that there are several members here that have seen this project and might be able to suggest where I may obtain these diagrams.

Many Thanks
Tony
Old 20th Apr 2014, 4:20 pm   #2
gingpeakin
Hexode

Default Re: Wireless World oscilloscope March 1969.

I have every issue of Wireless World from the end of 1929 to about 2008. The article mentions a series of previous articles from 1964-1965 that were published in a booklet. This section of my collection is a bit buried at the moment but I have a look when I can. Please feel free to remind if I haven't in a week or so.

Ging
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:54 pm   #3
ParcGwyn
Hexode

The series of articles that appeared in 1963 and 1964 are for a valved oscilloscope that was constructed to use plug-in modules for Y amp an timebase. The tube used was DN7-78 although later modifications allowed use of A SE3A tube. These are 3 inch tubes the article by Phillips uses a 5CP1 tube. It looks like Micheal Phillips did not include the CRT circuitry and left the design of that to individual constructors.

Dave
GW7ONS
Old 20th Apr 2014, 7:41 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, not sure if this was the one that was the subject of the booklets mentioned or not.
I do have the booklets so if you PM me your e-mail I will send you a scan of them.
I also have lots of other scope stuff if you are interested.

best regards, Ed
Old 20th Apr 2014, 10:31 pm   #5
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Hi and thanks for the quick replies folks, yes I believe there was a series of booklets published and that there were valve scopes also.

I have a few cathode ray tubes but lack mumetal screens for them, I have several 3RP1 crts they are quite good for a 3" crt.

I will send a pm with my e-mail adress Ed, again thankyou all for the advice offered.

Tony

Last edited by Anthony Thomas; 20th Apr 2014 at 10:43 pm.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:04 pm   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Anthony, I needed some mu-metal screening for a scope that I built a few years ago. I obtained some mu-metal sheet from Hong Kong via eBay. Just wrapped it round the neck of the tube and secured it with tie wraps. It was very effective at removing a slight ripple at 50Hz coming from the magnetic field of the mains transformer. Well worth a punt if you can't get a special made to measure screen for your tubes.

Ian
Old 21st Apr 2014, 8:26 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

After mumetal for screens had been worked in any way folding, bending punching drilling, spot welding etc, they had to be annealed by heat carefully for a few hours (cool down time) or else they carried permanent magnetism that could offset or rotate the trace.

David
Old 21st Apr 2014, 10:50 am   #8
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Thanks for the advice Ian and David, this ties in well with what I have been told so far.

In abscence of a mumetal screen for the tube I was planning to either relocate the transformer(s) to a separate chassis, another alternative would be to make a screen for the mainstransformer. That I would be able to anneal due to its thickness and size.

I have a few mumetal screens that I have sourced in the most unlikely of places and for relativly little money or trades.

Grateful for all advice that you members may have on this potential project

Tony
Old 21st Apr 2014, 7:04 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, I'll scan the booklets for you tomorrow and e-mail them. This was one of the units that I built many years ago, it uses quite common valves.
There was a later WW transistorised scope design that worked pretty well and was quite simple; far superior to the PW design that had 2, EF50/80 and a unit 6A!
There are also some Philips and Mullard books and app notes available on scopes of varying complexity.

Best regards, Ed
Old 4th May 2014, 10:04 pm   #10
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Sorry for the delay Ed, thanks once again for helping me out. I have printed those pdf's now and they look very interesting All the winding data is there so something should come of it all.

Again Thanks.
Best regards, Tony
Old 4th May 2014, 10:59 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Thinking about transformer screening, one method is to make a wide copper strap which wraps around the entire transformer, right round the outside. Over the laminations outer arm, over the winding stack, over the other laminations outer arm, over the other side of the winding stack, and joined up with itself with solder.

Effectively you have a giant shorted turn right around the transformer, and it greatly reduces the stray field. No mumetal, no annealing. Just wide copper tape about 0.010 inch thick and as wide as the winding stack.

David
Old 5th May 2014, 10:16 am   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, a well written article from when WW was a good mag. Let me know if you need any of the switches or other parts.

Ed
Closed Thread