UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2013, 9:02 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Drills

Yes, the workshop came first. My father got one when it first came out. The manual (which I still have somewhere) contains an illustration of a Selecta drill being used with the workshop, but the caption said that the drill was "available later".
Old 26th Feb 2013, 9:28 pm   #22
elanman99
Hexode

Another electric tool manufacturer was 'Arcoy'. I posted a picture of one that I have last March (this should link to a picture of it)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...6&d=1333053878

Arcoy also made larger drills (Buccaneer series) as well as a planer. Another product they made is a dovetailing jig which even after all this time seems to much in demand considering how many change hands on auctions sites.
Old 27th Feb 2013, 10:30 pm   #23
Oldtools4ever
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the pdf scanned docs, they have clarified a few details which I had'nt grasped. I remember that my father originally had a B&D single speed 3000rpm Drill /Sander/Polisher ( I think the model No was U-300) which just about managed to produce mortises using a 1/4inch straight router bit in incremental passes. The chuck was hand tightened and locked with a hex grub screw.
I did not know of the lathe set up parts or the comb jointing and dovetail equipment.
The Arcoy dovetailing jig produced and still does make exellent dovetails.
Old 1st Mar 2013, 12:10 am   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

I still haven't found the Selecta manual, but have unearthed the "General Arrangement Drawing" that was supplied in its own brown envelope. The original is on one side of an 11 1/2" x 18" sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Selecta general arrangement.pdf (531.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 2nd Mar 2013, 11:44 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

Re post #21, I have now dug out the manual, and find my memory was incorrect: the "available later" item was the dovetail jig, not the drill. To fit a "Selecta" drill, it was necessary to replace the front casting by a special casting: see page 6. It recommends the use of a higher speed than the usual 2500 - 3000 RPM for routing and grinding, but does not say that the Selecta drill can provide this: a marketing opportunity lost, or did they make an earlier model without the high speed setting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selecta  Manual cover .jpg
Views:	279
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	76982  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Selecta manual 1_3.pdf (954.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: pdf Selecta manual 2_3.pdf (1.43 MB, 309 views)
File Type: pdf Selecta manual 3_3.pdf (666.5 KB, 291 views)
Old 12th Mar 2013, 2:52 pm   #26
FIXITNOW
Octode

Pictures of a Desoutter drill I picked up a few weeks ago. A quick rewire and saftey test and one good working mini drill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0044.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	77369   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0045.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	77370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0046.jpg
Views:	307