UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2020, 12:52 pm   #1
jac114uk
Diode

Default Converted 746 won't dial out

Hi, I have a 746 which has already been converted, I have checked the wires were in the correct positions, the phone would receive calls no problem. I noticed the t5-t6 linkstrap was still in place so guessed I just needed the correct resister which when it arrived I put in place but when I did I then got nothing at all. no incoming calls either. So then guessed that the bell ringer parts had been replaced so it did not need the resister so put the link strat back in between t5-t6. i now can receive calls again but whatever I try cannot dial out. I get the continuous tone which carries on when dialling out. I also tried having my modern phone on the same line WHICH I USED TO CALL MY MOBILE. once connected I could pick up the 746 phone and it was connected to the call and I could hear myself. Can anyone help as to what the issue might be to why I cannot dial out ? Thanks Craig
Old 15th Aug 2020, 1:26 pm   #2
jac114uk
Diode

Default Re: Converted 746 won't dial out

Just read up some more and it seems the issue could be that my line supplier is Talktalk that is poor with pulse dialling. can anyone confirm this ?
Old 16th Aug 2020, 10:18 am   #3
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Not much help I know, but for what it's worth, we were on TalkTalk for a while with one pulse-dialling 746 and two other digital corded phones, and the pulse-dialling one did work normally for both incoming and outgoing calls. That being said, for obvious reasons, we didn't use it to dial out all that often.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 12:18 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Guy View Post
Not much help I know, but for what it's worth, we were on TalkTalk for a while with one pulse-dialling 746 and two other digital corded phones, and the pulse-dialling one did work normally for both incoming and outgoing calls. That being said, for obvious reasons, we didn't use it to dial out all that often.
It could be that your TT line was provisioned in an Openreach WLR connection so behaved like any other "BT line", but Craig's TT line is LLU and might not support LD dialling at all

In which case, attempting to "pulse" dial will be interpreted as multiple timed break recall events.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:01 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you're determined to be able to dial from this 'phone and your line doesn't support loop-disconnect dialling, one solution (albeit not a particularly cheap one at $39.95) would be to purchase a Dialgizmo. Strictly speaking, these are intended for VoIP lines rather than land lines, but they do work on the latter. This unit sits between your 'phone and the line, converting LD pulses to MF tones, adding extra functionality along the way.

For UK use you would also need adaptors front and back to convert between the BT plug and socket and the RJ11 connectors used by the unit.

I should add that a slightly cheaper solution if you don't mind making internal modificaltions to your telephone is to install a Rotatone unit to achieve much the same thing.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 16th Aug 2020 at 5:08 pm. Reason: Rotatone added
Closed Thread