UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2020, 1:16 pm   #21
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with a Philips Anubis AAC Set

The resistance of the CRT heaters should be close to zero, so it should be easy by unplugging to see (a) if they're OK and (b) if the heater winding on the LOPT is OK, just in case you've got a LOPT that needs a link fitting. If these are in order, then just follow the wire, the links and the fusible on the CRT base. There's not much else! My money's on a crack in the print - it's easy to do when removing the big LOPT.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 1:58 pm   #22
ekjdm14
Banned

The way I read the OP was that he had power to the CRT board but felt he was losing it from that point on, hence my worry about the heaters. I had a lack of voltage to the heaters on the TX100 yesterday & it was tarnish on the wire-wrapped stake on the CRT board after much head scratching and worrying! Hoping it's something as simple on this set too.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 1:59 pm   #23
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
Tube heaters not glowing at all. Seems theres nothing getting to the the tube but there is supply to the crt board
The 163V supply rail that goes to the CRT board does not play any part in lighting the CRT heaters. These are fed from a separate winding on the LOP transformer. As I mentioned before, you won't get any sensible readings if you measure the heater supply with a meter- it's high frequency pulses!

It's possible that there is a broken track near the LOPT (as mentioned by Glyn) or that the pin connections are different on your new transformer.

The fact is though, that the line stage is not happy! If the BUT11 is getting too hot (and then failing) it implies that there is another problem.

First thing I would do is to trace the wiring from the CRT heater winding on the LOPT, right through to the CRT heater pins on the tube base.

Cheers
Nick
Old 9th Apr 2020, 2:38 pm   #24
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Am I correct in assuming all the secondary voltages from the LOPT are OK? Those are the feeds from pins 4,5,6 and 7 of the LOPT. Take readings from the cathodes of the relevant rectifiers. If so, the BUT11 should be running relatively cool and I would expect the heater winding to be producing the correct voltage.
Bear in mind this chassis was designed to use various CRTs, so the manual can be a little hard to follow with the various options.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 5:26 pm   #25
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi all

Thanks for the replys, so i got the CRT Heaters back, only with a magnifing glass did i spot that pin 1 of M6 that conmects to Heater Pin 9 of thr Flyback wasnt making making contact with the board, sorted that and the Heaters glow a beaitiful Orange.

Next Problem...
Vertical collapse...thinking it could be the chip itself but im gonna resolder the pins first as they look about ropey, the potentiometer for vertical height is gonna have to be replaced also as its damaged (doesnt turn)

Getting closer to solving this one, thanks everyone for the help so far...any suggestions on the vert collpase
Old 9th Apr 2020, 5:54 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Could be the pot itself if it's fallen to bits or disintegrated in some way. If it is the chip, you also need to change any electrolytics associated with it. Make sure you have a supply to the chip....I think it's 26V.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:29 pm   #27
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

It was the pot, replaced it and resoldered the vertical IC and vertical is back, Still have Problems though, the colour is all janky, OSD is Blue instead of green like it should be and the picture is kind washed out

also when a Scart is connected, Prog 0 should be AV but its not, just getting snow and I've no sound
Old 9th Apr 2020, 7:26 pm   #28
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Ok another symptom, it seems when the back cover is placed back on (it pushes the board in ever so slightly) the picture dissappears and then reappears immidiatly after this tension is released, cant see any obvious loose connections to cause it ( Im sure this is how the BUT11 Died the last time) so wont let it run for more than a few seconds while its in this state, anyone any ideas?
Old 9th Apr 2020, 7:42 pm   #29
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Certainly a dry joint or broken track possibly around the line stage.Use a head magnifier to find.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 8:18 pm   #30
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

also when its doing this the LED goes out or goes Very Weak
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:44 pm   #31
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

resoldered broken joint on the LED which works fine now but lost picture completly, my 163,26 and 13v are still present but my 5v is reading as 9v?
Old 9th Apr 2020, 11:31 pm   #32
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

if i turn up the g2 get the usual bright screen with retrace lines, nothing more. anyone have any suggestions?

I really do appreciate everyones help with this
Old 10th Apr 2020, 11:12 am   #33
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Right. Wrong colours are probably due to impurity - check the degaussing coils are plugged in. Several on/off cycles should sort it, otherwise it's the posistor.
I think the AV probalem is incidental - maybe in the menu, otherwise check the SCART socket print connections.
Intermittent picture will be either difficult or easy, depending on your luck!
I'm unhappy about the 5v rail - is it after the regulator and feeding the micro? Hopefully not, so I suspect another crack or dry joint. Might be time for an involved session with the magnifier and a good light - that may pay off.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 5:12 pm   #34
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

The Micro is getting 4.8v, i think its something in the line stage, as per the service manuals suggestion i unplugged connector M5 to see if the fault was in the Power Supply or Line Stage, when the Plug is removed if i still have my +95 (and I do) the Power Supply is fine and the fault is in the line stage, Before I removed that plug i heard teh deflection coils working, when i plugged it back in the deflection coils are doing nothing.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 5:24 pm   #35
Red to black
Nonode

Be very careful re: the 5V rail 4.8 V is too low!
Philips especially from the L6 chassis onwards (Sharp too for that matter) were particularly picky with that rail, 4.8V to 4.9 V caused many and varied problems, they made that rail critical, too critical IMO, 5.1V was about the normal, I thought this was OTT, the Philips L6 in particular a circuit protector/Wickman fuse only had to rise resistance wise by a fraction of an ohm to cause serious problems, no need in my personal opinion for a piece of consumer electronics.
Old 10th Apr 2020, 5:43 pm   #36
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I took this video to show what its doing. here i have the G2 turned up ever so slightly just so i can see something on the screen, this is all i get, the scan coils are back working anyway, but no picture, not sure where to look now
Old 10th Apr 2020, 5:47 pm   #37
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

https://youtu.be/B4L0ygwHl7w

Here's the Video
Old 11th Apr 2020, 12:10 am   #38
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Think i found the problem.

A hairline crack on the board that goes from the edge down through each track as far as 7015 video sync ic.

I supoose when i put the back cover back on last night and lost picture that was the final nail in the coffin so to speak as it must have taken that hairline crack to the point where it severed the tracks.

I dont suppose anyone has an Anubis AAC Board they would be willing to sell by any chance?

I could try repair the damaged tracks but even then it still probably wont work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_232850.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	202716   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200410_232845.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	202717  
Old 11th Apr 2020, 11:44 am   #39
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
also when a Scart is connected, Prog 0 should be AV but its not, just getting snow and I've no sound
Are you sure that AV is not a separate button?
Old 11th Apr 2020, 12:52 pm   #40
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Well, that crack can be repaired as it's not in a 'hot' area of the chassis. Not something I'd have done for a customer, but as it's your set it's worth a go. What do others think?
It obviously depends on your skills in soldering in a small area and your confidence. Care with point-to-point wiring is needed.
Closed Thread