UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2020, 8:38 pm   #1
RichardSymes
Diode

Default Philips DCC 600 'No Cassette' error

Hi Guys,

Interesting forum this, I may be here for some time!

I've seen a similar problem reported but can't see that it came to a definite conclusion? My DCC 600 has been working perfectly but yesterday I put in a DCC tape, the tray took it into the deck but the message 'No Cassette' was displayed. No tape transport controls are functioning, just as if there were no tape in the drive. I've checked all the switches on the DCC indicator board and the are all making contact when operated. So I'm a bit stuck really unless anyone knows of another switch or contact I have to check that is linked to tape recognition? I've been through the service mode but the only mechanical check is the tray, which is fine. (There is another test called 'Holes' but this does not seen to activate when pressing the rec key).

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks
Old 15th Aug 2020, 2:16 am   #2
dmaillard
Tetrode

Default Re: Philips DCC 600 'No Cassette' error

Hi,
These decks have 2 belts, have you checked to make sure they don’t need replacing.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 6:58 am   #3
RichardSymes
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaillard View Post
Hi,
These decks have 2 belts, have you checked to make sure they don’t need replacing.
Hmm...I'm perhaps making an assumtion that because the message came up pretty much straight away the transport hadn't had time to engage? I do have a set of belts so I'll change them while i've got it deck mech out.
Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Old 15th Aug 2020, 5:20 pm   #4
RichardSymes
Diode

OK, belts changed and machine is now working 100% so thanks very much for the advice. Given that previously the tape did load I would be interested what improved after changing the belt?

Cheers.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 4:23 am   #5
dmaillard
Tetrode

Probably the flat belt was a bit loose, & had lost grip.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 1:04 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

Old belts just slip.
From reading this thread it would appear that it has a loading belt like a VCR that will slip and cause loading failure and an error code or just eject the tape again.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 11:41 pm   #7
dmaillard
Tetrode

It’s a common problem, even with CD players. Belts don’t really last beyond 25 years, except for some belts from the 1950’s & 60’s that seem to have had better manufacturing, & are still ok now.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 12:04 am   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

Belts can last as little as a couple of years. Also with rarely used devices it may well have worked perfectly the last time it was used but that might have been years ago. It can be easy to lose track of the time period.
Closed Thread