UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2015, 3:47 pm   #1
Tinman1
Retired Dormant Member

Default My first success, Hacker Democrat .

Hi. I'm new to the vintage radio scene, if there is such a thing?
Anyway I posted on my introduction that I had bought a "job lot" of Hacker radios , 2x RP18, one which worked and one which doesn't, and a Rp34 Democrat a nice little blue radio which when it arrived it was totally dead, the tuning cord was off and the MW LW buttons were stuck fast!
After searching the forums on here, And downloading a manual its now back to life and works !
I had to "zap" 4 of the transistors and replace some capacitors ...
It works well on MW and picks up quite a few stations and sounds nice and clear. Not so good on LW. It only seems to pick up one station and picks up a lot of interference .
I've still got a bit of work to do on the case but I'm quite pleased with myself

Paul.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 11:13 pm   #2
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: My first success, Hacker Democrat .

It's always a good feeling to get something that seems totally broken back into working condition - so well done!

I hope this is just the beginning…
Old 6th Sep 2015, 6:28 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: My first success, Hacker Democrat .

That means it's working OK on long wave. A couple of other, more distant, stations can be found if you are somewhere there is less interference, but mostly long wave reception is ruined by rubbish from switch-mode power supplies in just about all electronic products plus all energy-saving lights, and if anyone nearby has internet-over-mains adaptors, they're even worse.

Try late at night, the radio wave propagation changes and some of the noise-making stuff will be off.

David
Old 6th Sep 2015, 9:29 am   #4
Tinman1
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Radio Wrangler. Thats some reassuring information and explains why my working RP18 set is the same on long wave.
Yes I think This could be just the beginning. I enjoyed working on this little set and I have another RP18 not working( I bought 3 as a job lot).
Old 6th Sep 2015, 11:13 am   #5
mhennessy
Dekatron

Nice result!

The Democrat has an amazingly complicated dial cord arrangement for a ostensibly simple set - but it works well to give the illusion of a single pointer that somehow cuts past the wavechange buttons

Mark
Old 6th Sep 2015, 11:20 am   #6
paulsherwin

As David says, the west country doesn't have any particularly strong LW signals so it's possible the radio is working normally. All you can do is compare it with a known working radio. R4 198kHz will be your best bet. The other stations which are strong in many parts of the UK (RTE R1 on 252kHz and the three big French stations) are weak and prone to interference where you are.
Old 6th Sep 2015, 11:23 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Take it with you next time you go for a long drive, and try it another location.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 2:14 pm   #8
Tinman1
Retired Dormant Member

And here it is. All finished and working. The serial number is 32715.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3555.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	112731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3556.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	112732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3557.jpg
Views:	153