UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2014, 2:03 am   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Handy source of Rubber Grommets

I'm sure we all have one (or more!) old PCs stashed away. Here's a tip for those who service old record players and the like.

Today I came across a stash of old CD-ROM drives, and since these are not recorders, they are virtually worthless these days.
I began opening them up to save the little gears and belts, small DC motors, and the odd spring, when I noticed the CD laser assembly/mech was supported on a series of rubber grommets. These looked just the size those old BSRs and Garrard turntables use to support the shaded pole motors! They may also be handy for protecting cables where these leave metal panels or chassis.

So, well worth stripping those CD drives before dumping. Plenty of them about as most PCs made since the mid/late 1990s came with one.
Not all of the brands had the grommets, but there are plenty of other bits worth saving as listed above.
Will try and take a few pictures.
Old 7th Sep 2014, 11:38 am   #2
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: Handy source of Rubber Grommets

Everyone I know now disposes of their old and broken stuff via me and you're right; they are full of useful bits and pieces. I don't do much with turntables but I do hoard that type of thing. Good tip.
Closed Thread