UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2015, 4:12 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Roberts RT1

About a year ago down at our local boot sale, I noticed this sad unloved little Roberts RT1 in a pool of water beside a stall holder, I was told it was in working order and was a collectors piece, (They always are when you show an interest) and sell for good money on ebay?, I quickly replied not in this condition they don't, any way I finished up paying £3 for it, when I got home it was put in the to do/scrap pile, there it relished for a year, then last week having a little free time I glanced at the pile of panels I decided to give this one a go, it did actually work when I tried it, only just though.
After a recap and slight alignment the little Roberts performed like a dream, (note R13 in the trader sheet is a 8uf not a .01uf as stated) so then it was case refurb this I used ordinary paint and just before it was dry stippled it with a brush, this gave it a textured finish when dry, for the handle it was made out of an old leather belt and painted in the same way. The battery pack consists of four C cells in a modified holder, The only thing that is missing is the Logo which I will have to source, unless anyone can help?
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03822.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	112540   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03823.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	112541   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03825.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	112542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03827.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	112543   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03828.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	112544  

Old 2nd Sep 2015, 5:20 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts RT1

A real love of what it's all about. Well done, it looks great. Regards, John.
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 7:00 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice! And no whiskery AF117s to worry about...!
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 8:06 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

These were Roberts first transistor radio, and they certainly got it right.
You have certainly done a good job with yours, what paint did you use?
Did you strip the old rexine, or paint on top of it?
I have a rough example that someone has painted matt black. After seeing yours, I really should give mine the attention it deserves.

Mark
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 1:15 pm   #5
jonnybear
Octode

Hi Mark
No I did not strip the rexine I did re glue it with PVA where it had let go.the paint I used came from a German Supermarket, A not L, it is a gloss paint and took 6 coats which was brushed on and stippled, this needs to be done as it starts to dry, to give it a leather orange peel look.
John
Closed Thread