UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2014, 6:54 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Aerosol tubes.

Hi, there may be other solutions and I suspect that there are many but I needed one quick. How many have grabbed an aerosol with the tube missing or even bought one to find that it has 'gone'. Snip the ends off a cotton bud and there you have a tube.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 6th Jan 2014, 8:39 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Aerosol tubes.

Very handy, Geoff. Also worth salvaging them from empties before chucking them, of course.

N.
Old 6th Jan 2014, 8:53 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I wish they fitted better. To just go in about 1 mm is not very secure and they often come out in use. I have collected a small box full over the years and sometimes find one that fits tighter.
Old 6th Jan 2014, 9:44 pm   #4
robin coleman
Hexode

I have used 1.5 mm clear heat shrink in the past .
Regards
Robin
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:24 am   #5
majoconz
Heptode

I stick them back on to the aerosol can with a blob of 'blu-tack' - my current can of Servisol now has three stuck to it, two longs and a short!
Old 7th Jan 2014, 12:52 am   #6
alanworland
Heptode

I melted the end of my Servisol tube to put a bend in it - just the job for 'reaching the parts a straight one can't'.

Alan
Old 12th Jan 2014, 1:50 pm   #7
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Great tip; it occurs to me that if only one end of the cotton bud is cut off, a 'self-moistening' bud results, which could be handy.
Old 19th Mar 2014, 9:58 am   #8
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Well, that's one to remember for sure - thanks. Several times I've left the tubes attached because I know I'll be using the can again in a few minutes, only to find that while moving things around to make some space to work, I've nudged it and had the tube ping off down the back of the desk somewhere.

When the ends have all but fallen off after use I won't be so fast to throw them all in the bin from now on.

Cutting just one end off seems like it will be handy at times, too.
Old 11th Aug 2014, 4:46 am   #9
FrankB
Heptode

Before my beloved fiance was killed, she showed me a trick on the aerosol cans when they still have liquid in them, and "no propellant".

She would place the can on the ground and step on it, squishing the middle down.

Then we could spray out the remaining fluid- or at least most of it.

I suppose the constriction in the can causes the little remaining propellant to increase in pressure due to less space for it to occupy.

All I know is that it really works well on WD40 and spray paint cans.
Closed Thread