UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2014, 2:14 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default DIY AA -> C adapters

It's often desirable to use AA cells in equipment designed for C cells for a range of reasons. The length of the cells is the same but the AAs are obviously much thinner. Adapters are available from eBay sellers but are surprisingly expensive, especially if you need a lot.

You can make reasonably good adapters from an old length of washing machine hose. Just cut the hose into suitable lengths with a Stanley knife and then cut it lengthways. The batteries slide in easily enough and are held firmly.

The resultant 'battery' isn't quite as thick as a genuine C cell but is near enough to stay in place and work effectively.

Ordinary plastic garden hose can be used as well, but this is generally thinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0001.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	94952  
Old 9th Jul 2014, 9:31 pm   #2
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DIY AA -> C adapters

That's a handy tip Paul, I happen to have a spare hose as the supplied one metre length is often too short.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 10th Jul 2014, 7:55 am   #3
Nymrod121
Nonode

Nice one, Paul In the past, I've winced at the cost of replacing all eight C cells (4 per unit) in my Aiwa portable active loudspeakers ... now I can use rechargeable AA's.
Old 10th Jul 2014, 8:29 am   #4
Kala_12
Hexode

Why not use rechargeable C cells?
Stuart.
Old 10th Jul 2014, 8:58 am   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

Possibly because they are less readily available and almost always more expensive. In the best versions they (C) are higher capacity but this may not be necessarily so with AAs now available at over 2Ah.

Another point is that some C cells, particularly those of lower capacity are made with smaller cells moulded into C size plastic jackets; as I found out when I found some which had met a nasty end.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 8:27 am   #6
Nymrod121
Nonode

That was pretty much my thinking on it, Nick.

The Aiwa units are fairly frugal on quiescent consumption and go into very low-power standby if no audio is detected after about a minute. Problem is that I keep forgetting to operate the slide switch at the back of each unit which isolates the batteries as well as setting them into 'conventional extension loudspeaker' mode.

What prompted my response on this thread was my recent acquisition of a lovely little Hitachi FM/AM tuner which didn't have enough 'line level' output to drive the Aiwas - so I fitted 2 x Maplin 1 watt IC amplifiers inside the tuner chassis, along with an independent power supply. I now have plenty of gain adjustment in hand - albeit internally preset - to either drive the Aiwas in 'active' mode (which supports operation of the three tone controls) or 'conventional' mode as described above.

I also have a much-loved 'Prestel' MC16 field strength meter which has a C-cell pack enclosure - here again, I'll be adopting Paul's suggestion in due course

Last edited by Nymrod121; 11th Jul 2014 at 8:31 am. Reason: paragraph layout altered to improve readability
Old 12th Jul 2014, 4:03 pm   #7
threeseven
Octode

For an off the shelf alternative I have a couple of sets of these in use and they have been no problem :-

aa to c cell adaptor

There are even cheaper suppliers of similar items but supplying from China, I preferred a UK supplier.
Old 12th Jul 2014, 8:06 pm   #8
paulsherwin

As I said in #1, there are plenty of these available from eBay sellers, but they aren't cheap given that they're just a bit of plastic. It's the sort of thing I'd expect Poundland to sell, but I've never noticed any there.

Can anybody suggest other tube-like items which can be used in this way?
Old 12th Jul 2014, 8:32 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

You got me thinking Paul I wonder if I have any suitable size plastic Copex kicking around.

We use miles of the stuff and the bits I would need would be offcuts

Have a look on Monday

Cheers

Mike T
Old 12th Jul 2014, 8:50 pm   #10
threeseven
Octode

Some washers to the correct id and od, cut from thick rubber sheet, or even the denser type polystyrene, possibly even thick corrugated cardboard. One each end would do nicely.