UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 1:54 pm   #1
Clocknut
Diode

Default 1970's FM Car Radio

I am looking for a 1970's car radio with "FM" it's to go in a Concourse car so must be in good condition. I am also trying the FM to AM converter route
Thanks,
John.
Clocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 7:24 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: 1970's FM Car Radio

In the 1970s the vast majority of aftermarket car radios fitted were Sharp radio-cassette jobs. They were cheap, cheerful and very popular.

If you want an original equipment type for maximum originality, then it depends on the car it is to go into. P5B?

David
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 7:34 pm   #3
Clocknut
Diode

Hi David thanks for the reply, Radiomobile and Philips are two I know had FM I think? Motorola as well.
Yes my car is a P5b Coupe
Clocknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 9:52 am   #4
woodchips
Heptode

I have a Philips 990 MCC AM/FM cassette radio. See from the warrenty label I bought it in 1983 from Debenhams, but it was new old stock so not certain if still too old for the P5B. Even in a clearance sale I remember paying over 100 for it!

It has been fitted to every car I have had up until about 10 years ago, the cassette died, and never looked at it. After getting a new car some time later with a radio I found that the cassettes didn't work so not certain where the fault lies.

This was the first, I think, of the intelligent FM radios where you could program in multiple frequencies and it would select the best. It worked really well driving all around the country.
woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 4:45 pm   #5
Julesomega
Hexode

I have a Philips GM 752, an early PLL model. The label shows it came out of a Cavalier which puts it probably between '75 and '81. I don't know if there's a date code on the rear. Looks like LW is not working but I've not investigated

A fiver, say?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM 752.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	188781   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM 752 label.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	188782   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM 752 rear.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	188783  

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 5:00 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My late uncle had a late-60s P5B coupe; it had a dash-mounted Blaupunkt radio (I remember him explaining that Blaupunkt meant 'blue spot' in German) that covered MW, FM and the 49-Metre shortwave band, which meant we could listen to Radio Luxemburg's SW service during the day.

No FM-Stereo though, or Long Wave (I gather Germany didn't really do LW after WWII)
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 5:17 pm   #7
Jonster
Heptode

The Philips 'Turnolock' FM radio cassette players were being fitted to Jaguar XJ6s from around 1975 and may have been available earlier than that, so could be appropriate.
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 6:04 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There was a Blaupunkt Koln that was almost fully valved (I think a couple of semiconductor diodes and the HT rectifier), so I assume 1950s/1960s. It covered MW, LW and FM, and had seek tuning (press the tuning knob to seek to the next station along the band).

It may be too old for your car though.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 6:23 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Doing a Google image-search I think the one my Uncle's car had was a "Blaupunkt Frankfurt" - the styling - and the row of M/K/U [Mittelwelle, Kurzwelle, Ultra-Kurzwelle] buttons seem vaguely familiar.

[As with pretty much everything, Blaupunkt applied the "Frankfurt" name to a range of radios over at least 40 years - the one I remember looked pretty much like this: https://www.radio-classics.com/en/bl...lp-7638600-001 ]
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 8:42 pm   #10
Julesomega
Hexode

Just tried the GM 752, all working fine but unaccountably no LW, it toggles straight from 'U' to 'MW', only one bank of presets for each. MW covers 525-1605 in 1kHz steps so it's not one of those single band for LW+MW that we see now and it pre-dates the 9kHz steps.

I conclude that there is a fault, maybe a soldered link or diode to select LW. LW is marked on the knob and would have been an important requirement at the time for BBC R2. Also there were two German national services, DLF on 151, Stimme der DDR on 185. France was the most dependent on LW with four national services.

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 9:57 pm   #11
neikeel
Triode

I have an early 70's (I think) Radiomobile FM radio knocking around somewhere (removed from my 1970 MGBGT when I put a Blaupunkt radio cassette player in 1988).
If you are interested I will have a rummage.
IIRC looks like this:
http://www.78578.mrsite.com/USERIMAG...ILE%201085.JPG
neikeel is offline   Reply With Quote