UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2021, 10:34 am   #1
Sharpturntable
Diode

Default Sharp SG-315E Help/advice

Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

The platter spindle on this record player is bent, I have tried straightening it and got it kind of close but not good enough to actually play records on it.

Does anyone have a replacement or know where I may source one from? Or any tips to straighten it correctly?

Also, does anyone know what weight the stylus pressure is supposed to be for one of these, I have something to measure it with and it is showing 6 grams which seems excessive?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	platter.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	231555  
Old 12th Apr 2021, 10:45 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Sharp SG-315E Help/advice

Hello and welcome to the forums.

To straighten that spindle I would place a close fitting piece of pipe, or steel rod with a hole drilled in the end of it over the spindle. This will give plenty of leverage. If the spindle is hollow pack something into it to prevent it collapsing.

It will then be fairly easy to straighten the spindle, taking care that the piece of pipe or rod is at right angles to the platter when viewed from any direction.

I do have the advantage of possessing a lathe which makes constructing the straightening tool easy.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 6:02 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

I wonder how that's happened, it looks like possibly the whole platter may have gone with the spindle. If this is so, perhaps the chassis that the bearing below is mounted on is bent - should be able to be straightened using Graham's method above - hopefully.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 11:36 am   #4
Sharpturntable
Diode

Hello,

Yes it looks as though it was dropped at some point. The spindle goes through the platter and it has a gear/cog the other side for the auto return I think.

I tried the method above and it's got it pretty much there to be honest, the platter is at least level when turning now so it can be used. I put sockets each side of the spindle and tapped it with a hammer just to get the final straighten up.
Old 14th Apr 2021, 12:03 pm   #5
Station X

Well done.

Thanks for reporting the result, a lot of new members don't bother.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread