UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2021, 9:44 pm   #1
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default ATA that works with rotary

After hints from here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...4506#msg244506

I bought an UTStarcom IAN-02-EX
And yes it works with rotary phones No need for a dialgizmo or other things between the ATA and the phone.

Quite different setup compared to e.g. Linksys, and many possibilities that I never have even thought about, and probable don't need.

And yes you may set the ring cadence, and the dial tones etc.

I guess you may get the old UK dial tone, and even a dial tone that makes problems for touch tones should be OK with rotary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Utstar.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	225174  
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 2:49 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: ATA that works with rotary

Some Grandstream HandyTone ATAs have undocumented pulse dialling capability.

The HT502 and HT503 have been mentioned.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 1:33 pm   #3

What does ATA stand for

Old 23rd Jan 2021, 1:53 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Analogue Telephone Adaptor. They allow a normal 'phone to be used with a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) service.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 6:15 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

I have heard about that, but never been able to get one sent to Norway. Now the problem is solved
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 6:42 pm   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

All the Grandstream ATAs - the HT5XX and HT7XX ranges and the current HT8XX range all work with pulse dialling telephones..

The HT5XX and HT7XX can be made to reproduce the old GPO tones and cadences. I've managed to get Grandstream to update the firmware to allow tones below 301Hz to help generate the old tones but the when setup using the same settings as the HT5XX/7XX series the tones don't come out quite as well.

However note that the FXO ports (one used to dial out onto an exchange line) does not dial out in pulse dialling - only DTMF.

I also got Grandstream to add the 'New Zealand reverse dial' to the settings so NZ pulse dialling phones can be used. They already had the settings for the 'standard' UK number layout and the 'reverse' Swedish layout settings which had to be selected in addition to selecting 'pulse dialing'.

You have to (with the latest HT8XX firmware) set the setting for 'Pulse Dialling to 'Yes' and select the 'Standard/Swedish/NZ' settings. So not quite correct to say there is no mention of 'pulse dialling' !

One thing you may need to do is to 'tweak' the dial settings -certainly when used with the HT5XX/7XX series. The US standard for a dial pulse is 10 impulses per second (same as UK) but the US 'Make/Break' ratio is different. Each pulse in the US is 40% make/ 60% break whereas the UK (and a lot of the 'rest of the World') is 33.3% make and 66.6% break.

The way around it is to adjust very slightly the distance between the pulsing contact so the gap is very slightly closer - thus they stay made slightly longer when pulsing. Plus the ATAs seem to prefer slightly faster dials rather than slower ones.

Hope that helps. I've been using Grandstream ATAs with rotary phones for about six or seven years on CNet (Collectors Network) and even have a portable eight line ATA setup that tethers to my mobile phone allowing me to have eight lines off CNet virtually anywhere! Folk were amazed to see old rotary dial phones working in the middle of a field at an agricultural show a couple years ago!
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 9:11 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Ian, Do the Grandstreams continue to signal DTMF after the call answered in order to interact with IVRs?

That's the one problem with my Mitel Smart-1, Its a great converter, but it cuts through to a metallic path once dialling is done.
Old 23rd Jan 2021, 9:17 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If anyone knows a CNet number that tries to process such digits, I'll try it on my CNet line which uses a Grandstream HT205.

By all means send the number by PM if you don't want it made public.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 23rd Jan 2021 at 9:18 pm. Reason: addendum
Closed Thread