UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2021, 7:51 pm   #1
Raymondo
Diode

Default Garrard Autoslim

Garrard Autoslim Sched 58200 deck, ex Pye Black Box Model BBT/A with the 4 pole motor

I was wondering if you could help me with my speed problem on this deck.
I've tried all the ideas in the Autoslim/Black Box forums re speed and I have bought and fited a renewed intermediate wheel from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. The autochanger now works well and it plays records but a bit slowly on both 33 and 45.

After starting a record, either on auto or manual, it runs slow until I move the speed control lever very slightly in either direction then it plays fine on both speeds, playing all the tracks on a 33 LP, but If I load a couple of records, 45 or 33 get the first running right, by moving the speed control but then on changing the record, it plays slow again.

I have tried cleaning and lubricating all the moving parts of the linkage and wiped clean.

There is diagram 8 on page 9 of the Service Manual which mentions height adjustment of the intermediate wheel but I can't see how to make the adjustment. Do you think this is or could be relevant? Or do you have any other ideas?
Old 15th Mar 2021, 12:02 am   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard Autoslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
There is diagram 8 on page 9 of the Service Manual which mentions height adjustment of the intermediate wheel but I can't see how to make the adjustment. Do you think this is or could be relevant? Or do you have any other ideas?
Yes I do.

You need to look at the mechanism very closely with the platter removed and check that the idler wheel is not rubbing against the adjacent step on the motor pulley, which from your description it sounds like it possibly is. If it is it will soon ruin the edge of the idler wheel - you may even see the wear markings on it and rubber shavings that have been ground off it. Check the motor mounting rubbers haven't rotted and are letting the motor drop. Close inspection and observation with the platter removed should soon show up the problem.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 6:17 pm   #3
Analogue man
Hexode

On the Autoslim I believe the motor pulley is locked onto the motor shaft by one or two grub screws it is also possible that these have come lose and caused the pulley to slip, the same screw(s) will also help to realign the motor pulley if the checks suggested by Techman prove that the idler wheel is rubbing on the motor pulley but that the motor mounting rubbers appear to be OK.
Old 16th Mar 2021, 10:40 am   #4
Raymondo
Diode

Thanks for your reply, In the Service Manual for the Autoslim, page 9, Dia 8 an instruction indicates, "Spring Steel Strip to adjust the height of the Intermediate Wheel" but unfortunately it doesn't mention how to make the adjustment. Does anyone know how to adjust the Strip?
I have attached a picture of Dia 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dia 8 Adjust height of intermediate wheel.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	229281  
Old 16th Mar 2021, 8:53 pm   #5
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Assuming all adjustments for the intermediate wheel are ok and it's running centrally on the correct step of the motor pulley for the sped selected then I have found that cleaning and re-lubricating the motor bearings usually cures slow running. (I've had this on an AT6 and a model 40)
Old 16th Mar 2021, 10:51 pm   #6
teetoon
Heptode

Well Raymondo, from that diagram, there is only one possible way to adjust the height and that is by sliding the spring steel up or down where the arrow is pointing.
So, to quote an old phrase " This, is what, you do!" ( from Jimmy young's recipe's incase you were wondering )

David.
Old 15th Apr 2021, 9:56 am   #7
Raymondo
Diode

Thanks to you all for your help and advice, after cleaning all the moving parts of the deck with Alcohol, (Vodka), it must have needed the extra kick, I have now got the Black Box working perfectly. The sound from the valve amp is distinctly richer than from my digital sources.
The height adjuster spring moves easily with the help of a flat screwdriver twisted between the mounting and the spring. If you do this, be careful not to dislodge the ring end of the spring from the pivot, because the adjuster falls apart and it's quite a job to get it back in line.
Thanks again, I've been playing records on it now for over a month 45 and 33,
Closed Thread