UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2021, 1:28 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default Unidentified electric greenhouse heater

Hi,

My nan has this vintage greenhouse heater that she's had for many years, and after looking, we can't find a brand, we think it might be Parwin, but are not sure, if you have any idea, please let me know, pictures below.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210308_120545.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	228650   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210308_120553.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	228651  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 3:38 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Unidentified electric greenhouse heater

Hi Tom,
Yes, I think you can be pretty sure it's Parwin.
I repaired one a couple of years ago for a friend, but I'm sure it had an identifying plate on it somewhere or I wouldn't have known the make.

The spiders had created so much web inside over the summer that the fan blades couldn't turn!

The one I did had a remote thermostat on an umbilical cord rather than a built in one.

I've just typed Parwin into Google and looked at 'images'. Several pictures of your heater are shown.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Nick
Old 8th Mar 2021, 6:20 pm   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

It might be a silly comment but doesn't the second picture have the name printed on the label above the switch or am I dreaming again?
Dave
Old 8th Mar 2021, 7:12 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

It does!

Nice heater, looks rather well built!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 8th Mar 2021, 7:28 pm   #5
Tom williams
Pentode

Hi all, thanks for the replies, I believe the heater is made by parwin, but would like to know several other things please, they are:
The wattage.
The year.
The model number
It's built like a tank, it's been used for many years and has a nice vintage Eveready plug with unsleved pins on it.

Tom
Old 8th Mar 2021, 9:37 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

The wattage can be found with a simple resistance check- the wirewound elements won't vary madly as they heat up. Or just plug it into one of the cheap plug in monitor boxes.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Mar 2021, 2:53 am   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Hi Tom,
Yes, I think you can be pretty sure it's Parwin.
I repaired one a couple of years ago for a friend, but I'm sure it had an identifying plate on it somewhere or I wouldn't have known the make.

The spiders had created so much web inside over the summer that the fan blades couldn't turn!

The one I did had a remote thermostat on an umbilical cord rather than a built in one.

I've just typed Parwin into Google and looked at 'images'. Several pictures of your heater are shown.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Nick
The fan motor must have very low starting torque for spider web buildup to prevent starting and coming up to speed.
Dave, USradcoll1, just lurking.
Old 7th Apr 2021, 7:47 pm   #8
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The wattage can be found with a simple resistance check- the wirewound elements won't vary madly as they heat up. Or just plug it into one of the cheap plug in monitor boxes.
having recently recieved a plug-in power meter for easter, I can say thatr the heater is a 3 killowatt unit!

Tom
Old 7th Apr 2021, 8:04 pm   #9
The Philpott
Dekatron

I think....that may have had a 15A round pin plug as standard. I hope it doesn't now have a 13A plug as 3kW is pushing things and could also cause the plug to deteriorate (i know it's difficult to burn down a greenhouse, and for all i know the heater might not even get used..)

If it IS still in use..If you fitted a 15A fused plug (and a socket in the appropriate place) it would hopefully have the advantage that it couldn't be used indoors!

Dave
Old 7th Apr 2021, 8:08 pm   #10
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I think....that may have had a 15A round pin plug as standard. I hope it doesn't now have a 13A plug as 3kW is pushing things and could also cause the plug to deteriorate (i know it's difficult to burn down a greenhouse, and for all i know the heater might not even get used..)

If it IS still in use..If you fitted a 15A fused plug (and a socket in the appropriate place) it would hopefully have the advantage that it couldn't be used indoors!

Dave
Hi Dave,

Come to think of it, I think the heater was actually a 2.5Kw unit, th plug does not appear to have any burn marks on it.

Tom
Old 8th Apr 2021, 9:04 am   #11
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Unidentified electric greenhouse heater

Hi.
Slightly off topic, sorry.
A friend of ours had an immersion heater fed from an MK switched 13 amp plug in her airing cupboard.
She asked me to fit a 'proper' switch instead. However, I noticed that the heater was rated at FOUR kilowatts, and had been used for many years.
Surpisingly, the plug showed little sign of stress, and I still have it in use in my workshop.
It's like this one, but in white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK switched plug.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	231193  
Old 8th Apr 2021, 9:48 am   #12
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi.
Slightly off topic, sorry.
A friend of ours had an immersion heater fed from an MK switched 13 amp plug in her airing cupboard.
She asked me to fit a 'proper' switch instead. However, I noticed that the heater was rated at FOUR kilowatts, and had been used for many years.
Surpisingly, the plug showed little sign of stress, and I still have it in use in my workshop.
It's like this one, but in white.
Those MK switched plugs are very good for use with non switched 13 amp outlets. They are built like a battleship. I still have a couple in use since mid fifties.
Old 8th Apr 2021, 12:08 pm   #13
G6ONEDave
Octode

3Kw is 13.636A at 220v, 13.04A at 230v and 12.5A at 240v, so a good quality mains plug and 13Amp fuse should be fine. The fuse will nuisance blow eventually when it gets tired but won't blow instantly unless it gets an overload.
Dave
Old 11th Apr 2021, 11:30 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

And of course if the heater is rated at 240V 3kW, on a 230V supply it will only take 12A and on 220V, 11.5A approximately.

A 220V 3kW rated heater would be a problem at 240V, taking 14.9A at that voltage. (It wouldn't actually be a problem with the typical 220V mains connectors rated at 16A though.)
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread