UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2021, 12:08 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Riello Oil Boiler Faults

This morning my oil boiler went into lock out, resetting made no difference, being au fait with the burner I noticed the boiler fired up and ran for 30 seconds before going to lockout, checked the flame sensor with new one still the same, tried an old controller which worked, so fault was in the controller, checking capacitors first port of call found they were good, removing sub panel for ease of testing I found a 2.2k resistor reading 10k removing from circuit it read 15k adding a little freezer 67k never had this happen before, getting it hot I could get it back to 4.5k, resistor shows no stress, any way all is now well, have learned a lot over the years with this unit and have saved £££££, my plumber mate says he just replaces the parts the customer can afford it, it is a throw away world and not interested in repairing, don't think it it interest more like incapable.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 168.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	230268  
Old 27th Mar 2021, 12:42 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Riello Oil Boiler Faults

Well done. A very unlikely fault, so hats off to you.

Have you decided what Vintage radio goodies you're going be buy with the £££ you saved?
Old 27th Mar 2021, 3:49 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Nice work. I have an oil-fired boiler, and knew nothing about them when I moved here. However, I soon learned that getting guys out to repair it was expensive and often slow, and quite often, he just fits a plug-in module. I now keep a stock of most of the modules and haven't had to get anyone in for quite a while . The last time it failed was late on a Friday night, and I guessed we would not get anyone in until late Monday or even Tuesday, but I fixed it!

B
Old 27th Mar 2021, 4:25 pm   #4

A quote from Sherlock Holmes "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" you found it. I found an "impossible" on Thursday at work, a PCB did a nice firework display from a 24V plug in PSU after 5 years use, turned out that the "designer" of said board left the +24V and 0V inner planes under the fixing screws with minimal hole clearance, screw a weeny bit off centre and, fizz bang. Apart from the smoke and smell the (rather expensive) board is still working, self healing like X class capacitors.

Old 28th Mar 2021, 10:40 am   #5
Oldtestgear
Hexode

Well done. There are too many "engineers" who will lie through their teeth to overcharge a customer. We had an oil fired boiler that had a faulty pump. Of course the pump was obsolete & the answer was " buy a new boiler for (ONLY) £5000 fitted".

He was less than pleased to be told that I had replaced the start capacitor for £5 & it was working again. In fact another plumber had a spare pump in his van that cost us £50 when we had an annual service.

Always pays to be careful.

Phil
Old 28th Mar 2021, 1:02 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I had to fix my boiler.
The manual said replace the board so I had a look on line for one to find quite a few seller refurbished ones where you send your old one in.
I figured that it must be pretty easy to fix them with that many sellers doing it.
Those little relays suffer a short hard life and can be got from our usual component suppliers. They go open circuit once the contacts erode away.
A DMM indicated the truth.
I re-relayed the board cheaper and quicker than sending it in for refurbishing with relays having the same MPN.
Closed Thread