UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2007, 8:33 am   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Usage of non-domestic pre 700-series telephones.

I remember in the 80s outside st pauls , when i opend one of the mini police boxes there was a pyramid set inside ! .would have that still been in use ?

(This thread has been split from here by darren-uk ).

Last edited by Darren-UK; 8th Aug 2007 at 10:39 am. Reason: Thread split.
Old 8th Aug 2007, 10:39 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Usage of non-domestic pre 700-series telephones.

Police forces withdrew the pillars and police boxes (Tardis) at various different times. These generally corresponded with the introduction of personal radios for officers on foot patrol. It should be remembered that as well as receiving calls from the public these boxes/pillars could be used to attract the attention of passing officers by causing the light on top to flash.

1980 seems a bit late for a pillar to still be in use in London. Perhaps it was awaiting recovery? With a working pillar opening the door would cause the light to flash automatically.

edit:-

It's just occurred to me that St Pauls was/is covered by The City Of London Police as distinct from The Metropolitan Police. It's possible that the city police retained their boxes/pillars long after they disappeared from the rest of London.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Aug 2007, 10:49 am   #3
Station X

Pre 700 type telephones were also used for "Special Faults" and "Fire Reporting" telephones in major telephone exchanges. Their robust appearance gave them an air of authority.

They were also found in AA and RAC call boxes.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Aug 2007, 1:30 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I was amazed at the time seeing it ,as i had never seen one in the flesh before .It may have been redundnt of course
Old 8th Aug 2007, 1:36 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Remembering Devizes in the other thread I also rememberd ,My Mum was a telephonest in Chippenham from the late 1940s ,and had to lern to operate all the switchboard types in use . While she was having me circa 1967 she was retiring but was called back to operate the Manual exchange in Devizes as she had the newledge as at that point they were about to modernise it and smeone was needed to operate it while that was going on
Closed Thread