UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2019, 8:38 pm   #21
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Can anyone identify this amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASSBITS View Post
ajgriff
Alan does your amp have the 9 pin chassis mounted plug as on mine on the top at the side of the cap
No, mine is like the pictures in Paul's link (post#8). I imagine that the plug relates to the modifications. Connection to power supply perhaps? Try tracing the wiring.

Alan
Old 18th Feb 2019, 8:51 pm   #22
snowman_al
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASSBITS View Post
ajgriff
Alan does your amp have the 9 pin chassis mounted plug as on mine on the top at the side of the cap
That is a 7 pin Belling Lee plug / socket (there is a topic on its 11 pin brother here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=153942.) It is another mod.
Stern Clyne also did a ECL86 Stereo 20 in a very similar way. http://www.valve-radio.co.uk/literat...wer-amplifier/
Old 20th Feb 2019, 1:03 pm   #23
BRASSBITS
Hexode

After much thought, due to its non originality I think I'm going to break it as I guess the most value lays in the output transformers and the 4 x ECL86 which I will be keeping which really leaves the power supply, the magnetic input preamp, the front escutcheon, rest of chassis and control pots.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 10:17 am   #24
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi BB, why not simply rebuild it as one of the Mullard designs, or one of those from Radio Constructor. You will have all the bits and it should result in a nice sounding amp.

Ed
Old 21st Feb 2019, 11:34 am   #25
BRASSBITS
Hexode

HI Ed
I had thought about doing this but not having the original transformer put me off
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 7:47 am   #26
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi BB as it is only the mains transformer I may have a used tested one that might do, any idea of the spec you need?

Ed
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:02 pm   #27
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Hi Alan.
These old vintage transformers usually come apart easily and can be rewound.
I recently rewound the mains tx using a hand winder, purchased new on ebay foe £15, for my Farnell pulse generator. This burnt out because a rectifier diode went short circuit. I had to make a new paxolin former as the old one carbonised.
John.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:12 pm   #28
ajgriff
Nonode

Many thanks for the encouragement John. My transformer was taken out by a shorted rectifier diode too which was the reason for the amplifier coming my way in the first place. To date I'd not felt the need to acquire the skill of coil winding but it would seem that there are at least three candidates in the 'needing attention' pile so maybe now is the time. Life is for learning.

Alan
Old 4th Mar 2019, 3:50 pm   #29
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Life is for learning.

Alan
I agree, and I'd like to ask John (theredhouseinn) what do you think of the hand winder & who makes it please? I have a Fidelity record changer sat in the conservatory which had an open primary on the output transformer. I've replaced it currently and it's working but would like to rewind the original as the replacement doesn't fit well on the chassis.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 6:44 pm   #30
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Hi alan.
The coil winder is still sold on ebay.

eBay item number:

It is £17 now free poatage, but still good value for money. There are several sellers flogging the same machine for more money. But aimtoolsltd are genuine.
I got on with it ok. You have to guide the wire by hand, but you get used to it.
It has a turns counter on it which makes the job easier.
Coils of copper wire are for sale on ebay, various SWG.
John.
Closed Thread