UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2019, 9:53 am   #1
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

Default Ultra 6020

I have an Ultra 6020 transistor record player, I have had it restored, the deck is fine, a BSR, but I am told that since doing most of the amp and replacing the speaker which was "seized up" with the cone jammed to the magnet, that there is still a very loud HISSING sound coming from the volume it does lessen at full volume but it is very loud at normal level, I am told it is probably the transistors, the bass and treble response is very good for this type of record player but I am loathe to have the transistors replaced in case it isn't that. The guy who restored it is so distance from me and not really tenable to keep taking it back to him, can anyone help? I am in Manchester if there is anyone local with experience of these sets?

Thanks BUSHVHF
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:09 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra 6020

Not much of a "restoration" then!

Could be transistors in the front end of the amplifier, or tired old carbon resistors.

Can't find the model so can't be any more specific. Do you know what transistors are used? Some early Ge can get noisy as can later Si lockfit types.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Feb 2019, 12:02 pm   #3
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

well, the guy who did it did say that he thought the germanium transistors were at fault, he is quite accomplished but I wont be going to him again as there have been some "problems" it is also a 70 miles round trip to him, I really want to find someone near Manchester who knows what they are doing, I have photos of the amp and record player and it doesnt look like any of the caps/resistors have been replaced, though the speaker was replaced and the deck has been freed up alot and that works fine, in fact the amp does really except for this awful hissing. bushvhf @ gmail.com
Old 18th Feb 2019, 1:26 pm   #4
ekjdm14
Banned

Some restoration if the guy couldn't even replace a few electrolytics! Could you post some of the photos up?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 2:44 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Try a post here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

This chap may be able to help later in the year:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=134542

Though he's more valve oriented.

If the amp module is relatively easily removed, maybe something could be worked out by post?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:03 pm   #6
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

I dont know how to post photos here, it seems so complicated the way this site is set up I can find a tab to just add photos, the amp looks OK as though nothing has been done to it, I know he put a new cartridge in it, apparently this model is the same as the HMV and Marconi ones but I lost the thread of a posting here where it says the amp is the same as this ultra 6020, I have emailed that guy "boatersam" in Middlewich
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:05 pm   #7
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

PS I know I have posted "albums" of photos on my profile here but I cant remember how I did that and it is UNBELIEVABLE DIFFICULT to figure out how to post photos to a message here, if you email me email address removed by moderator I will send you a load of photos of this record player. thanks
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:13 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Just need to know how, go to advanced and then manage attachments dial.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:14 pm   #9
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

i managed to upload an album called "Ultra 6020" with some photos, I cant get the vid ones to uplaod with the hissing noise though, but I dont know how to add photos to a message. thansk
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:28 pm   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHVHF View Post
I dont know how to post photos here, it seems so complicated the way this site is set up.
See here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 4:03 pm   #11
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

i hope these photos have loaded OK, these show what the amp looks like in this Ultra 2060 record player, the speaker has been replaced as the old one was seized at the cone, let me know if these are showing? thansk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra record player (13).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	178622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp @ 16-02-19 (2).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	178623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp @ 16-02-19 (1).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	178624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp @ 16-02-19 (3).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	178625   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra record player (1).JPG
Views:	183
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	178626  

Old 18th Feb 2019, 4:21 pm   #12
Station X

The caps marked "Hunts" and "Daly" clearly haven't been replaced with new ones. It's possible they're perfectly good though. Any competent repairer would have tested them or, failing that, just replaced them.

The other two electrolytics I can see do look like new ones though. They are marked in the modern way with an arrow of '-' symbols marking the negative lead.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:36 pm   #13
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

To avoid any confusion - the first speaker shown was the original EMI made unit, the second speaker appears to be the (smaller) replacement of lesser quality, but which may be adequate in this kind of player.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:54 pm   #14
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

Yes, i think 2 caps were replaced, the guy who did this is quite accomplished he has vids on youtube but he did tell me he thinks it is the transistors that are causing the terrible hissing, I think he did check the other caps as he said that they were OK, the funny thing was that he previously told me he bought transistors for this player but didnt fit them, the speaker turned out to be faulty and that was only replaced two days before I picked it up, I travel alot and needed to get it back as it was with him for some time. What I really need is someone who can fix this not too far from me. It was a 70 miles round trip to this guy and to be fair I think he has taken on far too much stuff to be able to do it all on a normal turnaround time.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 8:44 pm   #15
ekjdm14
Banned

I'd have stuck my hand up as a volunteer to take a look, however my confidence levels are limiting me to restoring my own gear just at the moment! (I fear doing something silly and damaging someone's prized possession beyond repair!).

Without hearing the sound it's obviously difficult to say, but on balance fairly likely to be noisy transistors. Strange that he would test the old electrolytics and reinstall them (I would suggest in-circuit testing is not the best way and thus could still be bad ones installed) and given that you've presumably paid for a restoration, I would have expected a shotgun approach to the caps.

Not saying I'm not guilty of leaving old electrolytics in place, but only on my own equipment for short term use & not if I was being paid to restore an item!
Old 19th Feb 2019, 1:20 pm   #16
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

I have had a message of Sam in Middlewich who I sent a video of this player playing and he think it is definitely the germanium transistors in it, he says these amps are notoriously difficult to get the direct DC coupling right, and thinks one of those Chinese amp modules would be an option to fit, I have seen those quite cheap on ebay and said that if the volume/bass&treble knobs can stay in the same place (they come through a metal mesh grill front) I would like to have that done, but if it means putting the controls in a different place it would DESTROY the whole look of this player which is in quite good cosmetic condition. What do you think? Thanks BushVHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra record player (3).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	178677   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra record player (16).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	178678   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra record player (15).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	178679   Click image for larger version

Name:	@ 12-12-18 ULTRA EBAY RECORD PLAYER MODEL 6020 (2).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	178680   Click image for larger version

Name:	@ 12-12-18 ULTRA EBAY RECORD PLAYER MODEL 6020 (10).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	178681  

Old 19th Feb 2019, 1:44 pm   #17
ekjdm14
Banned

That would certainly be an option, even if the pot spacing was off the board could be remotely mounted and the pots fitted in their original places I imagine. (probably the way I'd do it if I had to).

Personally though, I would say it's worth a shot at getting the original amp working correctly. Maybe if you are seriously considering getting the amp replaced, you might consider Herald1360's suggestion in post #5 and send/drop off just the amp itself to me for a quick look. If I can get it working properly it'd be no-charge except for any parts/postage (and I'd obviously confirm prices with you before buying any) and if I can't then I'll endeavour to leave it working the way it is and send back to you to keep with the player.

Let me know what you think anyway, I feel like it's worth my taking a shot at getting the original working if it's otherwise to be replaced. cheers, Dan.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:29 pm   #18
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

thanks, Im not really compis mentis with all this to take the amp out myself, I travel alot and Im not really in a huge rush for this record player, I could bring the whole thing to you and leave it with you if that is an option, if want to see a video of it can you email me? I dont think I can add a video file on here? I tried but it timed out. PM me and I will send you my email address, I had it taken off here, its very simple bushvhf at g mail c0m thanks, who is Herald1360? are you in Congleton? I am in Manchester but dont mind bringing it if its not too far away.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:30 pm   #19
BUSHVHF
Tetrode

Oh, i see post 5 of herald1360, |Hereford is way way too far to send this record player really. thanks
Old 19th Feb 2019, 8:20 pm   #20
ekjdm14
Banned

Yes I'm in Congleton. If you pass by this way you'd be welcome to drop it in and I could have a look at it, I'm probably not in the same league as Sam (is he the guy who moors up near the recycling centre? I grew up round Middlewich sadly!) but happy to have a shufty at getting the original amp up to scratch if the other option is a Chinese replacement. I'll shoot a PM your way with address if you wanted to check how far it'd be, I suspect if you came down the M6 I'm probably roughly the same distance from J17 as Sam would be just in the other direction.

Cheers, Dan.

Edit- after a non-paying buyer on ebay I also have an Alba model 532 which you could borrow in the meantime if you wanted to drop the 6020 here, so you at least have something to listen to.
Closed Thread