UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2014, 5:48 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Another Panasonic PABX problem.

I've been following with interest, the advice given to Ryan regarding his Panasonic 308 system (glad to see everything is now OK Ryan), and wonder if anyone could help me with a problem I have with a newly-acquired KX-TA 624.
Briefly, I've used a Panasonic programming phone to allocate numbers to each extension port successfully. However, the following is occurring:
a. I'm using the Panasonic phone in port No. 1, and a mixture of GPO/BT Tone and pulse phones in the others.
b. extension to extension calls can be made between all phones EXCEPT dial types.
c. the Panasonic phone on extension 1 rings out, but none of the others do!
d. swapping phones around between ports makes no difference.

I've searched through the programming manual, but can't find any reference to this problem. Are any of you able to shed any light on what might be wrong? I'd be very grateful indeed!
Old 11th Oct 2014, 9:53 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Another Panasonic PABX problem.

b. Have you tested the dial phones on the BT line for correct dial pulsing
c. do you have ringing capacitors or are your phones wired for 2-wire operation

Program 120 sets the frequency for ringing phones, default is 25 Hz.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 12:15 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

No ringing definitely sounds as though the phones have been wired up to the PBX using slave rather than master sockets.

Do you see something like 50 - 100 V AC across pins 2 and 5 of the socket of a phone that should be ringing out? If so, does inserting an ADSL filter make the phone ring?
Old 12th Oct 2014, 1:22 am   #4
Oldcodger
Nonode

There is a known problem on Panasonic systems with certain sets, mostly with FAX M/C, but possibly with other bits of kit. As said the default is 25 Hz but a lot of BT kit doesn't like this. The fact that the Panasonic phone rings on a port, but others don't, points to this problem.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 10:45 am   #5
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
The fact that the Panasonic phone rings on a port, but others don't, points to this problem.
I think Panasonic system phones ring from the data signal, not the ringing voltage on the line.

If you plug both into the same port you will find the SLT ringing follows the relay clicking in the PBX, the PT ringing doesn't and isn't in synch with the SLT.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 4:47 pm   #6
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks to all of you for your invaluable advice, which has enabled me to crack the problem. I had the phones connected up via RJ11 to BT type socket cables, and it appears that none of these contained capacitors! The insertion of ADSLs has done the trick, although longer term I shall be wiring up to appropriate BT sockets. The Panasonic phone was completely unaffected by this, so obviously picks up from the data signal as Oscarfoxtrot has said. Just waiting for a deputation from my neighbours demanding why they have heard phones ringing all afternoon!

Only problem now remaining is the loss of my programmed-in settings when the PABX is switched off. I imagine this is due to the lack of a back-up power supply rather than a fault. This won't be too much of a problem since, like Ryan, I am only using it to run part of my phone collection, although I have plans to install extensions around the house.........

Once again, thank you all.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 6:05 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoley1 View Post
Only problem now remaining is the loss of my programmed-in settings when the PABX is switched off.
I have a similar problem with my house exchange (an NTS London 16), presumably as a result of the soldered-in backup battery having been long-dead. I've never bothered to do anything about it as it stays powered up 24/7, and the amount of reprogramming needed after a power outage isn't major. I simply have the reprogramming instructions set out on the label of the master 'phone of the system.
Old 13th Oct 2014, 12:26 am   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoley1 View Post
Only problem now remaining is the loss of my programmed-in settings when the PABX is switched off.
I'd suggest that either the memory retaining battery has failed / is missing / or is not connected. (I'd suggest either of the last two, as I've never seen a back up battery fail) Had a look in my 624 handbook to jog my memory, but to no avail as to it's location. I can't remember what it looks like, but I'd imagine it's similar to the other systems as a heatshrunk unit, of two cylinders approx 15-20 mm with a two wire cable terminated in a white plug.
Old 13th Oct 2014, 11:14 pm   #9
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The backup battery is a flat circular button cell soldered to the main 3+8 mother board - only accessible by removing any expansion boards. Can't find any mention of replacing it in the way that it can be done on the previous KXT range

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMAG4500.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	98776  
Old 17th Oct 2014, 12:59 am   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
I think Panasonic system phones ring from the data signal, not the ringing voltage on the line.
If you plug both into the same port you will find the SLT ringing follows the relay clicking in the PBX, the PT ringing doesn't and isn't in synch with the SLT.
Correct, BUT, I was talking about Panasonic SLT, rather than system phones, which get the data down the system bus to control the functions.
TBH, I've never thought about the function of the analogue pair, but I'd guess it's to provide power for the system phone data system.
Old 21st Oct 2014, 7:29 am   #11
smiler411
Tetrode

Panasonic proprietry phones use the outer pair of the RJ45 for data and power and the inner pair for the analogue signal only. The ringing is controlled by data as has been said.

As for SLT ,ringing and loop come down the inner pair so with some phones you will need a master socket to provide the ring signal as you have found out.
Closed Thread