UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2014, 8:50 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default 332L Hum problem

I've just completed the refurb of a badly converted 332L that refused to ring out. This involved correcting the handset transmitter/receiver connections(!), correcting the internal links, and stripping, cleaning and retiming the dial mechanism. It's now able to receive and send calls without a problem. The only outstanding issue is a very obtrusive hum in the receiver. The transmitter looks like a type 21 electret inset. If I replace it with a conventional transmitter from a 746 the hum disappears and all's well, although it doesn't fit mechanically of course. Do I simply have a faulty transmitter and need to replace it, or is it more complicated than that?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 29th Sep 2014, 8:56 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: 332L Hum problem

Have you tried the 21 in the 746? If that 'phone starts humming you'll know it's faulty.

- Joe
Old 29th Sep 2014, 9:07 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Just tried it and 746 starts humming. That answers my question. Thank you!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 29th Sep 2014, 9:35 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Always easier to see the wood from without the forest.

- Joe
Old 1st Oct 2014, 9:35 pm   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Now you know the source, I have had some similar problems, disappearing at a raised voltage. Probably not easy to chive here, but it may be OK in another setup.

dsk
Closed Thread