UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2014, 12:43 pm   #1
a_strong
Pentode

Default Eagle Products MR-3P Meter...

Can anyone help me identify the thread used on the mounting studs of the Eagle MP-3P series of meter (82mm x 78mm). I require 4 fixing nuts.

I can say it is not M3, M3.5 is too big, 6BA is too small and the coarseness of the pitch would suggest it could be an American thread.

Any advice would be appreciated - Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2502[25%].jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	91026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2503[25%].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	91027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread_detail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	91028  
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 1:51 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Eagle Products MR-3P Meter...

Most Eagle stuff was Japanese, if that's any help.
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 3:44 pm   #3
Alistair D
Nonode

An awful lot of Eagle kit used American UNC threads.

From your description it will probably be 4-40 UNC

This link will help
http://mdmetric.com/thddata.htm

Incidentally 4-40 is the thread size used for the locking screws on old PC serial and parallel ports. Might help you confirm that is what you need.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 3rd Apr 2014 at 3:45 pm. Reason: missed word
Old 4th Apr 2014, 1:09 am   #4
a_strong
Pentode

Angry Re: Eagle Products MR-3P Meter...

Thanks Al and Paul - I expected the thread to be metric and although an M3 nut will engage the thread it locks up after approximately one turn. An M3.5 slips over the thread.

The locking nut from a PC card will engage the thread on the meter but again it locks up after approximately one turn. The diameter of the 4-40 UNC thread is more or less the same as that of the meter but the pitch is slighter finer.

I am reminded of a similar problem with Japanese meters when I was on the bench but I cannot remember how I overcame it, but then it was over 50 years ago!

A.
Old 6th Apr 2014, 1:06 pm   #5
WME_bill
Octode

Radio threads for Eagle meter.
I suspect UNF4-48 or UNF6-40. Used a lot by HP and Tek.
I made up a comparison table for all the common radio threads, which I find makes matching threads much easier. You measure the outside diameter, and work out the threads per inch (TPI) by placing it side by side with a known BA or Metric bolt, with the threads interlocking.
I attach a copy of my table.
The threads are British Standard Whitworth, British Standard Fine, Model Engineers, British Standard Bicycle, British Association, UNified Fine, and UNified Coarse, ISO Metric coarse. Grouped by thread angle.
UNified and American National are effectively the same and interchangeable. The ISO Metric in a fine series is rarely seen.

Computers can be a bit misleading. PC usually use M3 for fixing the main board, and UNC4 -40 for the floppy drive and CD. However, often a M3 has been forced in, so the thread is damaged and will take either with difficulty. The original IBM PC used all UNC. wme_bill.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thread Comparisons-wm.pdf (733.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 7th Apr 2014, 1:38 am   #6
a_strong
Pentode

Good morning Bill - I can say with certainty that the thread in question is not 4-40. I have found my tobacco tin of small US nuts and bolts among which are a number of 4-40 which mate perfectly with the serial/parallel port retaining screws but will not screw on to the meter thread.

I tried an M4 bolt alongside the meter mounting stud and it matches quite well, confirming that the thread pitch is very close to 0.7mm, or 36 (ish) tpi. M4 is of course a much bigger diameter.

I've not looked at your chart yet but from the measurements I have made I would say that a 7/64" x 36 tpi nut would fit but I have not been able to find such a nut in all the tables I have looked at since my first posting on the subject.

I also abandoned my Chinese vernier callipers in favour of my M&W micrometer and the o/d measures 0.108". Presto Tools (is also a Sheffield firm) so I will give their tech team a ring tomorrow and see what they come up with

I am also well into PCs and the vagaries of interchanging M3 and 4-40 threads at will.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread_detail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	91259  
Old 26th Apr 2014, 4:16 pm   #7
a_strong
Pentode

The mystery thread has been positively identified as a special extra coarse UN thread, UNS #4-36. It just so happened that there is a tap of that size on that well known auction site (item number:170884970993) which I have bought, and made four nuts.

So, problem solved and thank you to everyone who responded.

Alan - G3WXI.
Old 26th Apr 2014, 6:25 pm   #8
WME_bill
Octode

UNS 4-36. I have never come upon that before. The only reference I can find says it is a special combination of diameter and pitch with pitch based upon a thread engagement of 9 times the pitch, but gives no other details.
So congratulations on your discoveries. wme_bill
Closed Thread