UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2014, 2:50 pm   #21
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic 308 PBX for rotary dial phones

I think this will be a suitable adapter
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/prod...buyer-rjp-bts/
if you don't mind dangly things dangling out of your control unit.

It's for VoIP use so should take the centre pair of the RJ11 to the correct outer pair on the BT end, and includes a ringing capacitor.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 3:55 pm   #22
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

The wiring plan above will work for a Trimphone; I'll look the one up for your 332 later.

I doubt it would matter if the 205 and resistor were fitted or not. I'd leave them in, at least initially.

- Joe
Old 8th Oct 2014, 5:40 pm   #23
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks very much Joe, and to everyone else.

I have just bought two of the RJ 11-BT plug adaptors to try out the unit initially before spending more money and getting it properly setup in my room, to make sure it all works.

Another line of thought is that the programable Panasonic telephone the unit comes with has a standard white BT plug on it. Does this need any rewiring inside the phone or would fitting the RJ-11-BT plug jack adaptor be sufficient to get the PBX to program in? I understand that this Panasonic telephone uses all four of the pins in the socket If I am remembering correctly, so I am guessing no?

I will post my progress once it arrives tomorrow.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 8:09 pm   #24
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

332 wiring:-

Blue to T9, green to T1, wrap the red and white wires up with insulation tape, separately.

I would imagine that the Panasonic programming 'phone is correctly wired but people better versed in the modern side of things will know better than I.

- Joe
Old 8th Oct 2014, 9:18 pm   #25
dagskarlsen
Heptode

try a search for: RJ11 (US) to BT plug adaptor, with ringing capacitor
and you will get some...at least on ebay.

OBS The panasonic needs to hang to get the right ventilation!

dsk
Old 8th Oct 2014, 9:30 pm   #26
McMurdo
Dekatron

The reason you should check your ready made RJ11-BT431 adapters (or leads for that matter) is because they aren't all the same.

Some british phones use all 4 of the RJ11 plugged into the phone end. Some are wired 'parallel' (ie RJ11 pins 1-4 connected to BT431 (bt plug) pins 2-5 respectively)..and some (mainly for dial-up pc modems for the uk market) use RJ11 pins 2-3 connected to BT431 pins 2-5.

It's the latter type you will need; chop the BT431 off and terminate the 2 wires at terminals 2 and 5 on a BT wall socket (LJU). Then plug your vintage phones into the wall sockets.

This is all clearly explained in the installation manual for the PABX.

As I and others have already said, you can program the CCU (panasonic pabx control box) to operate properly on just exchange line 1 and ignore the other 2 exchange lines. When you dial out it will always select line 1.

I assume you have an engineers manual for the pabx, you'll need it. pm me your email address if you want a copy on pdf.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 9:34 pm   #27
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Another line of thought is that the programable Panasonic telephone the unit comes with has a standard white BT plug on it. Does this need any rewiring inside the phone or would fitting the RJ-11-BT plug jack adaptor be sufficient to get the PBX to program in?
The Panasonic phone needs to be plugged into an extension socket (no ringing capacitor) will all 4 wires connected to the RJ12, with the outer pair (data) of the RJ12 crossed to the inner pair of the BT.

I think it unlikely any commercially produced adapter will handle that - you'll probably need to get an RJ12 cable, cut one end off and wire it to a BT socket.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 10:03 pm   #28
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks

that sounds easy enough, would this able be sufficient?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ11-TO-RJ...item5d50214599

and this socket?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-SINGLE-...item460e4e8f86

I don't mind it not being a boxed socket. I thought the cheapest may not have a ringing capacitor As all my phones are on my pretty massive Ikea shelving unit and so everything to do with the PBX will be tucked away under my desk.

What order would I wire the back of the BT socket? Colour coding looks quite bizarre, so I guess it will all have to be down to a visual inspection
Old 8th Oct 2014, 11:53 pm   #29
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Those should work. If you get the RJ12 cable twice the length you need, cut it in half, you will have two cables, instead of wasting one end.

Colour coding of your cable is arbitrary so you will have to identify which side of the flat 4 wires is 'black' or 'yellow' to get the cores in the right order.
Old 9th Oct 2014, 12:53 am   #30
Oldcodger
Nonode

Last post was cut short by my PC deciding I'd posted enough. Unfortunately at this time, I can't find my course handbook with lots of juicy info, so it's back to memory.
Proper Panasonic system leads are 4w with the inner pair being solely for SLT, and all four being used for a system phone. A Pukka Panasonic cord is red/green (inner=SLT) and black/yellow (outer =data) added for a system phone.
A system phone (essential to program a 308, and a suggestion is a 7130) uses a slave socket, with the data pair on 3/4 and the analogue pair on 2/5. Simple to tell on other cables - plug an SLT (DOMESTIC PHONE) into a socket, connect the middle pair to 2/5 and with the system on, you should get dial tone. Neatest way (but most expensive way) to connect the system to the outside world is to use a box connection 201d, which allows for a neat job, and future flexibility. But you could use a few 77A (4 pr connection boxes).
Both cables and boxes can be had from www.kenable.co.uk.

PROGRAMMING - it's essential to follow the "INITIALISATION" STEPS. The Keyphone must be in extn 21 (first port), wired with a secondary /slavesocket with analogue to pins 2/5 and data to 3/4. Some one did mention extending this to an SLT Port, but that is how a power fail socket is added - 2/5 from master to a parallel master. BUT, both phones MUST NEVER be in circuit at the same time. In programming, the steps are shown, along with the default after reset. Incoming and outgoing access is programmed separately, as is signalling conversion. REN is approx 4, but certain exten bells have a record of causing ring trip. For programming a programming template is ESSENTIAL.
Old 9th Oct 2014, 5:16 am   #31
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks for reply

As mentioned in my original post, I have the phone, I have the full pdf of the programming manual which also includes overlay templates. Im not really wanting to use junction boxes I just want the simplest method possible, so it can easily be moved, I don't really mind about a neat job as it will never be seen. I have decided the best method is to just rewire my rotary dials back to there two wire configuration which will allow them to be directly plugged into the RJ11 sockets. I imagine the secondary socket for the Panosonic is so you can make calls in the event of a power cut, that I don't really mind. I have other phones I can use.

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 9th Oct 2014 at 5:31 am.
Old 9th Oct 2014, 9:53 pm   #32
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Some one did mention extending this to an SLT Port, but that is how a power fail socket is added - 2/5 from master to a parallel master. BUT, both phones MUST NEVER be in circuit at the same time.
It might only be on later products, but it is possible to have a PT and an SLT plugged in simultaneously; the phones work in parallel.

About the only adverse interaction I've found is that background music ties up the speech pair, so must be turned off (by dialling 1 on the PT) before using the SLT to originate a call.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 2:05 pm   #33
Ryan_1993
Hexode

out of curiosity I plugged in the Panasonic programming phone into my standard BT outlet and nothing happened, the phone remained off. I assume this is normal? I'm guessing it gets its power from the PBX. otherwise its not working.

The unit is quite a bit larger than I imagined lol, but it looks in outstanding condition.

HUGE UPDATE

I plugged in the Panasonic program phone with a RJ/11 UK adaptor got a dial tone, I plugged in my trim phone into extension 22 and it rings, no rewiring or anything necessary.

I then plugged in a Bakelite 300 series and although it rings, it sounds more like a vibrating sound, than a bell. so its not sending quite enough power to the line
Old 10th Oct 2014, 3:04 pm   #34
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I assume from your comment that the problem with the 300-series 'phone's ringing is only when connected to the 308, and that it rings normally when plugged into the BT outlet, otherwise I would have suggested that the problem may lie with the adjustment of the eccentrically-mounted gongs.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 4:20 pm   #35
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Yeah, that doesn't matter too much as the 300 series is not mine, my 232 works flawlessly though

Here is a very quick video from my Instagram feed of the 308 working right away out of the box with my Bakelite 232. All I bought were two 99p RJ/11-BT plug adaptors plugged them in and it worked, no set up needed.

I just reprogrammed the date on the Master control phone

http://instagram.com/p/t-xxp0D_tK/
Closed Thread