UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2012, 11:56 am   #1
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Question How can I improve my aerial reception?

Hi All

I live in the back of beyond on the lleyn peninsular in N.Wales and all I seem to be able to receive on my radios are a couple of Irish stations and Radio 4.
plus a few foreign stations.

I currently have an external aerial made of 7 strand insulated copper wire,about 20ft. long strung horizontally across two buildings about 15ft. high.

It has clear sky out to the Irish sea but hills and the Snowdonia mountain range in most other directions.

Can anybody suggest anything I can do to improve reception (apart from moving back to civilisation)

Many Thanks
Alan
Old 10th Mar 2012, 1:09 pm   #2

Default Re: How can I improve my aerial reception?

A Welbrook loop http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/, bloomin brilliant.

Old 10th Mar 2012, 1:26 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

What sort of radio's Alan? I assume you are talking vintage radio's here. I've a couple of Wellbrook loops as well and they are fantastic antennas, but really are better suited for use with a 'proper' communications receiver. They wouldn't be my first choice for a vintage valve radio.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 10th Mar 2012 at 1:36 pm.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 1:45 pm   #4
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

I am talking vintage sets

I've looked at the Wellbrook site,they look a bit expensive.
I was hoping for something a bit more DIY
Old 10th Mar 2012, 2:25 pm   #5
Chris Parry
Retired Dormant Member

For a wire aerial, the more wire the better, and the higher the better. Far better for it to be outdoors than in the loft. Important for the aerial to be "opened out" in the space available rather than bunched up in one small corner of the available space. Chris.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 3:00 pm   #6

Quote:
but really are better suited for use with a 'proper' communications receiver
They do work very well just plugged into the A+E sockets of a vintage radio, as the input impeadance of your average old valve set is quite high a few can be run in parallel. I have an ALA100, it was a bit pricey I agree but you do get what you pay for.

Old 10th Mar 2012, 5:48 pm   #7
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
They do work very well just plugged into the A+E sockets of a vintage radio...
I've no doubt a Wellbrook loop performs admirably, but I wouldn't spend a couple of hundred pounds on one just for vintage radio use alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickiebird View Post
I currently have an external aerial made of 7 strand insulated copper wire,about 20ft. long...
From your earlier comments Alan, it would appear that you are using the LW and MW bands rather than SW. An aerial of 20ft is insignificant at those longer wavelengths. You would be better with some sort of MW/LW Loop. There are many DIY designs available on the internet and usually they are quite simple and cheap to put together.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 10th Mar 2012, 6:07 pm   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

For LW and daytime MW reception antenna height is the main thing. By 'height' I mean the total vertical distance between your earth connection (which may be your mains earth near your meter, or a separate RF earth) and the highest point in your aerial. Second is the amount of wire you can get at the highest point, as this acts as a capacitive top hat. This assumes that noise is not too much of a problem; I guess in your case much of any noise will be from devices in your own house. If you can't get enough height, or noise is a problem, then a loop will be better. There are DIY designs.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 7:01 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: How can I improve my aerial reception?

Alan - when you say that you have the horizontal portion of your aerial "strung across two buildings", do you actually mean "between two buildings"? I say this since in the latter case, there should then be plenty of 'free space' around the horizontal portion. If, however, the former case applies, and the horizontal section is lying on top of and in contact with the two buildings (as in "across" them), that won't do at all!

Al.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 7:04 pm   #10
Davewantsone
Hexode

How about building a squarial loop?I remember many years ago the construction details in Practical Wireless.
It is two 5ft lengths of wood arranged in an X shape. At the 4 corners you attach V shaped pieces of hardboard or plywood with 7 cut slots 1/2 inch apart. You then wind around it seven turns of thin wire (22gauge or similar).
The two ends of the wire are taken to the centre of the "X" and across it is soldered a 30-350pF variable capacitor. (Found in most old radios).
A insulated single loop is then wound on the 3rd winding and taken to the aerial terminal of the radio The other going to the earth terminal.
The loop is very directional and is tuned to the required Medium wave frequency by the variable capacitor.
I found when using transistor radios I did not need the extra single loop the radio just needed to be put next to the seven wires.
You could mount this in a loft. Tune to the correct frequency then bring the single loop wire down to the radio in the house.
Hope this helps.
I built one in the earlier 1970's and it does work!
Old 10th Mar 2012, 9:47 pm   #11

Quote:
but I wouldn't spend a couple of hundred pounds on one just for vintage radio use alone.
I don't, it is also used for 'proper' shortwave stuff too, it does make vintage set perfrom very well. I don't think spending 200 quid on making what must be 2000 pounds worth of radios work well a bad idea.

Old 10th Mar 2012, 10:49 pm   #12
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
...it is also used for 'proper' shortwave stuff too...
You've misunderstood my reply. I was referring specifically to Alan's (Dickiebird) situation in his original post.

Like I said earlier, I've a couple of Wellbrook loops myself, they are well worth the money IMHO.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 10th Mar 2012 at 10:57 pm.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 11:13 pm   #13
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Have a look at this: http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/aerials1.html

- Joe
Closed Thread