UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2012, 2:30 pm   #1
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Post Ekco U245 metal caps

Hi all

I'm in the process of recapping an Ekco U245 (trader sheet no.1309)

I've come across 2 metal caps which in my limited experience I'm not familiar with.

The first is C23 0.01mf which has a small tag connecting the outer case to chassis

The second is C27 0.005mf (the list says it should be 0.002 but it looks original) This one has insulation wrapped around the body to prevent contact with anything else.

They dont appear to be polarised and are not shown as electrolytics on the circuit diagram

My question is, can I replace these with standard polypropylene caps or do they have to be metal cases,and why are they metal cases anyway?

Whats the difference between these and standard caps?

Any advice very welcome

Alan
Old 10th Feb 2012, 3:04 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ekco U245 metal caps

Hi Alan

C23 couples the audio to the first valve in the audio amplifier. Thsi is where the audio gain is maximum and an area that can be vunerable to hum pick-up. I would think though that you could use a "normal" capacitor provided you keep it away from the mains switch wiring and any other AC wiring.

I can't see any reason to insulate C27, there are no particularly high voltages on it.

Colin M
Closed Thread