UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2007, 11:39 pm   #1
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Smile 1970's Ferguson 3R05 - Aerial Needed

Hi there!

This is my first post. Im not much of an expert on radios my sister collects the really old radios of the 40s and 50s but at a car boot sale today something caught my eye.

I bought this Ferguson 3R05 for 50p from a guy who was packing up his stall. He explained and showed that it had a damaged aerial but it still worked perfectly (when you put your finger on the aerial bit it uses your body as an aerial and its clear as a bell).

Being a fan of 70's music this little radio just appealed to me somehow and for 50p it would cost you that for the 4 AA betteries it had in it. My mother even likes the radio so much she was trying to get me to give it to her.

Anyways I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how/where I could get a replacement aerial for this little radio because I would love to restore it to its former glory.

- Regards

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	11866   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	11867  
Old 28th Aug 2007, 8:45 am   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: 1970's Ferguson 3R05 - Aerial Needed

Hello Dan and a really warm welcome to the forum.

Maplin's (the electronic component suppliers not the holiday camp. have a wide range of aerials in stock. I don't know if there's a store in Sunderland but there are loads of them about the place.

Just (carefully) take the cover off the radio and you'll be able to see exactely what type of mounting bracket there is.

Good luck-you'll find plenty of people on this forum who will help you with any problems you might have.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 1:06 pm. Reason: Forum rule B5; please avoid vulgar language.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:04 pm   #3
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

So you reckon I should be able to just replace the aerial with one of those on maplins.co.uk? I was thinking it may be one of those items that the manufacturer made specifically for that radio I didnt think it would be a standardised part.

I think the aerial is one of those where it goes right down into the radio when its pushed down, not one of those that bends over on a hinge, the radio hasnt got any sort of clip or post to clip the aerial into to suggest that.

On maplins there are a fair few different aerials with different numbers of sections. But what your saying is if the fitting on the inside of the radio matches one of those on maplins its definatly the right aerial and number of rod sections?

Sorry im new to this.

- Dan
Old 28th Aug 2007, 12:12 pm   #4
Station X

Dan.

I'm not an expert on transistor portables, but I would say your chances of finding the correct original aerial for this set are zero. You might be able to get one from a scrap set, but this is unlikely, as the aerial is the first part of a set to get damaged or broken.

So I think it's a case of finding something from Maplin that will do the job. Even if an aerial has a hinge at the bottom, that won't necessarily stop it being fitted so that it fully retracts into the body of the set.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 2:13 pm   #5
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your replies to my query. Having not owned this set until after the aerial has been snapped off I have no idea as to how long the original aerial was and have drawn a blank on google searches for this radio.

If I post a couple of photos with the radio casing opened would anyone be able to advise me better?

Thanks

- Dan
Old 28th Aug 2007, 3:49 pm   #6
llama
Octode

Hi and welcome,
"Poundland" generally stock TV-top aerials made from 2 telescopics mounted on a plastic base. Maybe worth a punt.
Other discount stores are available.
Graham
Old 28th Aug 2007, 3:59 pm   #7
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: 1970's Ferguson 3R05 - Aerial Needed

Yeah come to think about it I have seen the aerials you mention in Poundland myself a couple of times. I think the base of the aerials on them are quite thick like the one on the radio so might have to have a look into them, thanks for the tip.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/media/fed...5997b9519f.jpg

- Dan

Last edited by Dr Pepper; 28th Aug 2007 at 4:08 pm.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 5:20 pm   #8
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Just bought one of those aerials from poundland in my break there. Looks about the right size, we'll see tonight but hasnt cost me the earth if its no good.

Thanks

- Dan
Old 28th Aug 2007, 5:48 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Apparently, you can get the service data for this model in the 1982-3 edition of "Radio and Telvision Servicing", a series of books that your local main library should have.

This may show you how to take it apart, if you can't manage to work out how to do it yourself (they can vary between blindingly obvious and quite tricky!).

Nick.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 6:08 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think I may have the manufacturer's service data for that set in a big pile of Thorn data that I've been trying to decide whether is worth scanning or not (with lots of radio-cassettes, clock-radios and stereo systems). I'll have a look later...

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Aug 2007, 6:25 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Found it - it was near the top of the pile.

Attached is the front page which has what little disassembly information is included. It looks like the back is held with four screws then the aerial with one screw from the bottom. With your new aerial you may have to attach it at the pivot instead and accept that it won't push down into the set (you'll have to fold it across instead).

The other pages (not included here) are circuit diagram, PCB layout, alignment info and parts list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3r05-page1.pdf (77.7 KB, 189 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Aug 2007, 8:02 pm   #12
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Well impressed with the service manual, now im genuinely convinced you can find anything on the internet! Thanks for that very much appreciated...always better to know that the thing isnt going to disintegrate into 50 million parts by taking the wrong screw out.

Anyways I removed the old aerial from the radio and replaced it with one of the aerials from the Poundland TV aerial. The aerial is a bit too thin so theres a gap around the aerial hole and now the handle cant move back. As a radio it works but id still like a better aerial. I have kept the old aerial shaft so I can take it with me for comparison.

Heres some pics.

Thanks for all your help fellas im well impressed!

- Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radio3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	11894   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	11895   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11896   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio6.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	11897   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio7.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	11898  

Old 28th Aug 2007, 8:14 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
The aerial is a bit too thin so theres a gap around the aerial hole...
Dan,

You could wrap some black insulating tape very neatly around the aerial at the point it exits the top of the radio (before fitting it).

It wouldn't look perfect, but it would stop the bottom section of the aerial flexing and make the radio feel a bit more solid
Old 28th Aug 2007, 8:18 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

P.S. This radio is pictured on page 104 of the excellent new book "Vintage Radios" written by Tony Thompson [AKA "Aerodyne"].

It's (erroneously) described as "late 1960s", although as we know, it's apparently from the early 1980s. But it looks very old fashioned for that date.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 8:45 pm   #15
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

I assumed it was from the 70s, it reminded me of the radios seen on the BBC tv programme Life On Mars which I really enjoyed. Its style especially the handle looks very 1970's to me when you look at other 70s radios. Perhaps it was made in the very late 70s?

I have been having a tug at the old aerial with a pair of pliers because it felt too heavy to be a hollow tube and found out that theres a hinge that was hiding down in the tube very strange didnt think the radio would have a hinged aerial because all the radios I had as a kid had a little sort of plastic clip to clip the aerial under.

Heres a couple of pics of the aerial. Any idea where I can get one like this?

- Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radio8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	11903   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio9.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	11904  
Old 28th Aug 2007, 9:56 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Its style especially the handle looks very 1970's to me when you look at other 70s radios. Perhaps it was made in the very late 70s?
The handle style is identical to that used on a Ferguson that my parents bought new in about 1976/7.

I wonder what the date (if any) on Paul's service data is?

Nick.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 9:59 pm   #17
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Any idea where I can get one like this?
As Graham's said, probably the only source would be from a scrap Ferguson radio of the same era, so keep looking at those boot sales etc.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 10:04 pm   #18
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder if this would be any good?

http://www.radiotronics.co.uk/item.php?partcode=A009P

I've emailed them to ask about the one pictured. Seems the right sort of lengths. Dunno about width though.

- Dan
Old 29th Aug 2007, 8:25 pm   #19
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Cool Re: 1970's Ferguson 3R05 - Aerial Needed

Ok fellas after mulling over the aerial problem I came up with a solution I should have thought about if I had knew that the original hingey bit was hiding in the original aerial.

I loosened the screw from the poundland aerial at the point where it pivots and transplanted it onto the old radio aerial shaft.

And ta-da! Just like new Works like a treat even with the aerial folded down.

Just want to say thank you for all the support i've had in trying to get this sorted.

- Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radio11.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	11921   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio10.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	11922   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio12.jpg