UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:15 am   #1
vintageeitc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Which were the UK's first TV Remote Controllers?

Ok, so this is a question for the history buffs..... I am trying to work out the first group of UK TV controllers that came out?? (The American ones are easy!) The earliest I've come across so far is from Masteradio from November 1952. Does anyone know if anything came out before this in the UK? Also what were the first few UK wireless TV controllers to come out?
Old 27th Oct 2019, 9:57 am   #2
FergusonTX90
Diode

Default Re: Which were the UK's first TV Remote Controllers?

I remember seeing an philips G8 with wired remote in the 70's.
Also an two button ultrasonic remote an Thorn BRC 9000 series set, GEC did one too
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:08 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Ferguson had wired remote on the early 60’s, no doubt others had as well but don’t remember anything before the early 60’s. That’s when I started in the trade so not much recollection before that.
The Ferguson had a motor driven channel change, the ‘stops’ were plastic pegs, they broke and the tuner went past the channel until the next peg.
Only saw the odd one, it was an expense most could manage without.

Edit https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ferguson_719t.html

Last edited by Nuvistor; 27th Oct 2019 at 10:13 am. Reason: Added a link
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:09 am   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

Led to believe there were sets (mono) that had motorised tuners that responded to a torch, Philips G8 had an ultrasonic remote version as did the Rank Z718
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:15 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Tony,
I can’t remember how the early sets changed channel, I thought it was a cable control, I know some USA sets used a torch.
A bit too long ago for me to be certain.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:25 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Philco model 1967 of 1957 vintage had an optional motor driven turret tuner. The Ekco T284 and T293 used a plug in unit for cable control of brightness and volume. There were a variety of these from almost every manufacturer including Philips and many Pye models with motor tuners.
1961 was the big year. Philco now Thorn introduced the 'Selectorflash' a 19" model the clever 1100 with torch control of mute and motor driven channel change. The same year Murphy introduced the Astra range that included a twin amplifier control panel that would allow channel change and mute, again motorized from ultrasonic handset that contained two tuning forks that were hit with a mini spring loaded hammer from the handset control! A microphone on the front of the TV picked up the dual 'transmissions'.
Ekco also produced a torch controlled model but I have only seen one, decades ago.
HMV and Dynatron produced models around this time with a full cordless transistor driven handset but I have never seen either. Regards, John.
PS If you have a Murphy 659X series in your collection and wonder what the slightly dirty hole is in the speaker fabric just above the control panel, it was for the ultrasonic microphone that picked up the data from the handset in the remote models.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 27th Oct 2019 at 10:33 am.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:34 am   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In 1957 Philco offered an remote control option in certain models. These were console models A1961 A2161 which had FM radio. The "Philcomatic" remote control was also available on non FM radio models A1960 and A2160.
A description of the "Philcomatic" remote control system can found in pages 17 and 18 of the 1957/58 Radio and Television servicing book.
"The power-driven turret in some Philco models provides a convenient means of remotely controlled channel selection as well as providing "touch tuning at the set...…"

Introduced in 1952 the mighty HMV 1820 console TV had a cable remote control for the adjustment of sound volume, brightness and contrast.

In 1960 Dynatron introduced the cordless RC1 ultrasonic remote control system which offered channel selection and volume up and down.

in the late fifties full function remote control systems were available on many American colour TV sets. For example RCA CTC7 models.

DFWB.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:45 am   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

HKS wrote:
"The same year Murphy introduced the Astra range that included a twin amplifier control panel that would allow channel change and mute, again motorized from ultrasonic handset that contained two tuning forks that were hit with a mini spring loaded hammer from the handset control! A microphone on the front of the TV picked up the dual 'transmissions'."
The 1961 Murphy "Astra" remote control TV receiver:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=99269&page=1

DFWB.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:49 am   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Philips also had a remote control on their two piece projection receiver of 1951. It had a massive thick connecting lead to the 'handset'.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:53 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Don't forget the 90 series Bush 1960 contribution. It had powerful solenoids that operated the heavy Bush buttons via a cable! Bang bang! J.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:16 am   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember the early 'pinger' remotes I think from the late '50s - early '60s I think one of the Ultra Bermuda sets had one. We sold some sets with these but can't for the life of me remember what they were.

I've got one in the draw in my workshop.

Peter
Old 27th Oct 2019, 4:49 pm   #12
mickm3for
Heptode

i remember a callout to a i think a Philips set using an early pinger type remote only chanell change the fault was the set changed chanels without any one touching it. The set spent more time in the workshop on test but it never showed its fault in the workshop, as soon as returned a phone call " its doing it again" This turned out to be the parrot next door. Never found a fix for this only to disable the remote receiver. Mick
Old 27th Oct 2019, 8:03 pm   #13
regentone001
Heptode

we had a GEC set with a pinger type remote it would change channel of its own accord which we eventually traced to when the Baxi Bermuda back boiler started up
Steve
Old 27th Oct 2019, 9:26 pm   #14
vintageeitc
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Frank. When did you start seeing any wireless remotes then?
Edd
Old 27th Oct 2019, 9:35 pm   #15
vintageeitc
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for this! So it sounds like early 60s was really when things began to kick off in this country for controllers? Interesting sonic, light and wired versions were all about at the same time here as torch models seemed to have died out in the US by late 50s. Love the 'Selectorflash' name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The Philco model 1967 of 1957 vintage had an optional motor driven turret tuner. The Ekco T284 and T293 used a plug in unit for cable control of brightness and volume. There were a variety of these from almost every manufacturer including Philips and many Pye models with motor tuners.
1961 was the big year. Philco now Thorn introduced the 'Selectorflash' a 19" model the clever 1100 with torch control of mute and motor driven channel change. The same year Murphy introduced the Astra range that included a twin amplifier control panel that would allow channel change and mute, again motorized from ultrasonic handset that contained two tuning forks that were hit with a mini spring loaded hammer from the handset control! A microphone on the front of the TV picked up the dual 'transmissions'.
Ekco also produced a torch controlled model but I have only seen one, decades ago.
HMV and Dynatron produced models around this time with a full cordless transistor driven handset but I have never seen either. Regards, John.
PS If you have a Murphy 659X series in your collection and wonder what the slightly dirty hole is in the speaker fabric just above the control panel, it was for the ultrasonic microphone that picked up the data from the handset in the remote models.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 9:51 pm   #16
vintageeitc
Retired Dormant Member

I don't suppose anyone has images or examples of any of these very early UK remotes such as the Philips projection one or HMV 1820 one? I'd love to track some down or at least see them

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
In 1957 Philco offered an remote control option in certain models. These were console models A1961 A2161 which had FM radio. The "Philcomatic" remote control was also available on non FM radio models A1960 and A2160.
A description of the "Philcomatic" remote control system can found in pages 17 and 18 of the 1957/58 Radio and Television servicing book.
"The power-driven turret in some Philco models provides a convenient means of remotely controlled channel selection as well as providing "touch tuning at the set...…"

Introduced in 1952 the mighty HMV 1820 console TV had a cable remote control for the adjustment of sound volume, brightness and contrast.

In 1960 Dynatron introduced the cordless RC1 ultrasonic remote control system which offered channel selection and volume up and down.

in the late fifties full function remote control systems were available on many American colour TV sets. For example RCA CTC7 models.

DFWB.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 10:44 pm   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

I have a HMV leaflet (probably July 1953 going by the printer's code) that shows the 1820, but the optional remote is unfortunately not illustrated, nor is its price stated. The TV's price of 253 guineas did not include the remote control!

An undated PAM leaflet produced for an Earls Court Radio Show just before the 625 line service was introduced, illustrates the wired remote control that was an optional extra (3 guineas) for their 119A, 120A and 123A TVs. All the TVs in the leaflet are for 405 lines only, but convertible to 625 by the addition of a tuner. Not scanned is the Model 119D, which did not have the remote control option.

Scans attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HMV remote 1953.pdf (252.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf PAM remotes 405 pdf.pdf (578.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 27th Oct 2019 at 11:01 pm.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 12:01 am   #18
Richard_FM
Nonode

Did any British sets use a mechanical ultrasound remote like the Zenith Space Command?
Old 28th Oct 2019, 12:06 am   #19
toshiba tony
Heptode

Message for Frank, but all of you. Can't rememer the model. May have been a Thorn 850. VHF only. But it had an FM radio built in. It was marked Light, Third and Home. It was a Link tv. Normal reception was impossible. I lived in the Colne Valley in Yorkshire and Holme Miss and Emley Moor wasn't covered. But it was a very primitive remote tv. Colour then was still very new. G6 and Bush valves tv's and the Thorn 2000 but there were very few wired colour sets. When we moved house we went colour (Philips G6) Colour versus remote? It had to be coloucolour, happy days.
Old 28th Oct 2019, 1:27 am   #20
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Vintageeitc wrote: "don't suppose anyone has images or examples of any of these very early UK remotes such as the Philips projection one or HMV 1820 one? I'd love to track some down or at least see them"

Here's some information about the cable remote control system which was available as an accessory for the HMV 1820 of 1952.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV1820_RC_1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	192547   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV1820_RC_2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	192548  
Closed Thread