UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2013, 1:42 pm   #1
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Default 1920's home brew tuning coils

I'm currently trying to re-build a 1920's 2 valve home made set , but can't work out the coil connections.

The coil assembly is a Colvern 'New Mullard Master Three Star'

It has two outside coils : the big one is about 100 turns and the small one at the bottom is maybe just twenty turns (difficult to count)

There is a third coil inside the main coil which I am assuming is the reaction,but I could be wrong, I usually am!

I'm thinking that the 100 turn coil is probably the aerial and maybe the internal coil is possibly the grid coil not the reaction

The base connections are numbered 1 to 6 but this is further complicated by the wavechange switches which inter-connect several of the coil pins underneath the base.

If anyone can shed some light on this or provide a wiring diagram it would be most welcome.

Alan
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 2:23 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 1920's home brew tuning coils

I would think that the large coil will be tuned and connected in the grid circuit and that the two small coils would be aerial coupling and reaction.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Nov 2013, 4:43 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: 1920's home brew tuning coils

There is the picture of the baseboard of a Master 3 Star here an its showing 5 out of the 6 connections in use.

In the picture top right is the ground/earth connection, top middle goes to the grid via grid leak and also the tuning capacitor.

Top left looks as if it goes to reaction capacitor.

Bottom left to the Valve anode (reaction) and bottom middle to the aerial (via capacitor).

I can quite make out the connection numbers.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 3rd Nov 2013 at 4:47 pm. Reason: Added Star
Closed Thread