UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2013, 9:33 pm   #1
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Default Stentorian S36 ext.loudspeaker

Hi All

I'm looking for some info.on a Stentorian S36 L/S.(circa 1936)

I purchased one at an auction with the intention of using it with a Cossor 334 TRF set (1932) if compatible.

It came with what appeared to be a very perished 1930's style twisted braid power cord which suprised me somewhat as I was expecting just 2 wires for the loudspeaker connections.

Inside there appears to be an energising coil,which would mean it needs an high voltage supply to power it and also an array of adjustable switches and 5 screw terminals marked A B C D & E. D&E being the volume control connected to a variable pot. on the side of the cabinet.

Visually the cabinet looks identical to a KB72 but the innards are completely different.

Do I need to put a high voltage supply on it to get it to work?

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for this beast or any knowledge on how to get it working?

regards

Alan
Old 24th Feb 2013, 9:38 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Stentorian S36 ext.loudspeaker

Hi,
I have a Stentorian speaker here with a permanent magnet and was similarly puzzled by all the connections. Essentially there is a transformer within that can be configured in various way to suit different receivers.
It can be connected for low impedance for sets with an output transformer, high impedance for sets without (these usually drive a moving iron speaker), or as a push-pull output transformer (hence the three wires). So, in its day, it would most likely have HT running through it.
If your radio set uses a normal moving coil speaker, then the low impedance setting should work OK.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete
Old 24th Feb 2013, 12:17 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Stentorian S36 ext.loudspeaker

If the speaker is an energised type (i.e. does not have a permanent magnet) it is unsuitable for a battery set as it stands.
Some have high resistance energising coils, and are energised by being connected across the HT supply. Others have low resistance coils and are energised by being used in place of a smoothing choke in series with the HT line.
Either type could be used with an external power supply but this is not how they were intended to be used, domestically at least.
Old 24th Feb 2013, 12:31 pm   #4
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Hi Pete

The Cossor 334 does not have its own L/S, it has to use an external one which is connected across the HT and the anode of the output valve,I would therefore assume that the cord that looks like a power supply cord would be connected across these two points and connected to the high impedance connections at the L/S end.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Regards

Alan
Old 24th Feb 2013, 2:56 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

I suggest you post a picture of the speaker. The Cossor needs a high impedance speaker. If ABCDE are taps on a seperate transformer then choose the pair with the highest resistance. If it simply takes the energising speaker coil out on the cable then you will need to provide some DC current by running the HT through the coil or providing a seperate supply.
Closed Thread