UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2012, 11:12 pm   #1
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Unhappy Alba 472 volume control not working

Hi all

I've just bought a nice little Alba 472,it has a couple of problems that my limited knowledge cant resolve:

Firstly, the volume control does not respond it seems to be stuck at about mid-level.I've taken the pot off and metered it and it seems to be OK.
It goes from 0 ohms at one end to just over 1meg at the other,which is fine as far as I can tell (Its a 1 meg.pot)

The other problem is lack of reception ,LW is OK,but MW I can only get a couple of very faint stations and SW nothing at all.

I've given the wavechange switch a good spray with contact cleaner.

I have a good external aerial so I dont think that is the problem,I have also recapped it so I dont think any of the caps are faulty

Any suggestions on either problem gratefully received.

Alan
Old 8th Mar 2012, 11:30 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Lightbulb Re: Alba 472 volume control not working

This is the same as the Aerodyne 302. You can get the sheet here:

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/136/416

If the volume control is OK, then the next thing to ask is 'Is it wired right'. It's R7 the circuit listed above. Middle (wiper) goes to the Top Cap of V3. (EBC33). The upper outer goes to C20, the remaining pin goes to Earth,

The other problem probably involves the capacitors and coils of the antenna side of V1. Look at C1, C2, C3 and C7. Have any of the coils been twiddled?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 11:39 pm   #3
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

Default Re: Alba 472 volume control not working

Thanks Steve

I've got the Trader sheet,you are right it does cover the Aerodyne 302 as well.

I'll take a look at the wiring and the antenna side of V1 tomorrow.

Alan
Closed Thread