UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2014, 12:37 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default Coil core locking in Transistor Radios

Does anyone know of a source of that tiny square section rubber strung used for core locking in sixties and seventies transistor radio RF and IF coils? It tends to perish over the years and sometimes needs replacing.

For substitutes, I have fitted small strips of writing paper longitudinally between the core and the former, as used in some GEC and Masteradio transistor sets. I have also tried a smear of that stiff silicone grease sold by Maplins, which also does the job of preventing the small cores moving too easily. On the other hand, cut up rubber bands seem to be too hard and risk core breakage.

Ron
Old 1st Sep 2014, 1:09 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Coil core locking in Transistor Radios

I usually strip the rubber cores out of a bit of elastic.
Old 1st Sep 2014, 2:40 pm   #3

I was going to say 'the wifes knickers', an alternative is plumbers PTFE tape.

Old 3rd Sep 2014, 2:52 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Ron
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 3:19 pm   #5
Humber888
Heptode

Another thought. What about the elastic cord you often get on luggage tags sent out by travel companies?

Mike
Closed Thread