UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:40 am   #1
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

Smile 1976 Toshiba Black Stripe TV.

Picked up a nice yellow Toshiba Black Stripe TV for $25 with swivel base.

It needs a bit of work, the picture seems to bend on the right side. Dried up caps after 42 years, but 10 out of 10 cosmetically.

I was wondering is anyone here familiar with them. Any issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_173253[1].jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	157070   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_172440[1].jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	157071   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_173311[1].jpg
Views:	831
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	157072  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:48 pm   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: 1976 Toshiba Black Stripe TV.

Wow, what a wild 70's colour that has!

SEAN
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:55 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Only fault I recall on 70’s Toshiba TV’s was poor soldered joints on PCB feed throughs. Caused many different faults but an easy fix. This was 40 odd years ago though so anything could be the cause now.

There were probably other faults but it’s too long since to remember them. They were a reliable TV.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 3:53 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Forum member Heatercathodeshort was a Tosh dealer and thought very highly of their tellies. Maybe he will comment...
Old 9th Feb 2018, 4:10 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Imported into the UK in the late 70s was the Toshiba model C400B 14" portable CTV. It had a touch button channel selector. Very reliable set. Retail price was £309.00!

DFWB.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 4:42 pm   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Looks very cool. I hope the picture tube isn't very worn. That's an NTSC-only set right?
Old 9th Feb 2018, 7:03 pm   #7
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

It's from Canada. The picture tube is very good except it seems to have a very faint static like burn in if you look close. I'm not sure, but I think there from the factory like that.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 11:11 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I sold all the Toshiba models that were imported into the UK from the C81B 18" model with rotary tuning, to the later receivers built at Plymouth.

This looks vaguely like the US version of the first UK import the C400B but I doubt if it has anything in common with it.

The C400B/C800B as Frank has mentioned had a problem with the feed through tags on the double sided print modules. I used to remove the solid links and solder 18 SWG wire through the holes, a 100% cure. For some reason it didn't matter how well you resoldered the original tags, they just bubbled and set DRY!

The later 20" model the C2000B had a very similar chassis but the tags had vanished from the modules and like all Toshiba models they were a very rare sight on the workbench.

Toshiba picture tubes can always be identified by the four I presume jig marks in the center of each edge of the tube. John.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 2:04 pm   #9
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordant View Post
It's from Canada. The picture tube is very good except it seems to have a very faint static like burn in if you look close. I'm not sure, but I think there from the factory like that.
Hi,

You just reminded me with that comment about a set that I have here, it's a Decca-colour TV in a rather nice shade of red! The tube fitted is a Blackstripe Tatung, and that has what looks like screen burn of static when you look close at it. it produces an excellent picture when on though! That set was rescued from someone's front garden back in 2006, after a good clean and dry out it worked perfectly first time, and continues to do so.

Your Toshiba set looks nice, I saw a similar one on eBay over here, I was tempted, but I haven't any room! (although that didn't stop me buying an Ekco RS3 radio a couple of weeks back..!) I've still got our old living room TV, a Toshiba 21" FST blackstripe from around 1987, still working, but looking like the frame stages could do with some attention now, as the picture is starting to loose height.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 10th Feb 2018, 3:00 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Replace C303 and C313 in the frame output stage Lloyd. Both 2.2uf 63v situated around the frame output I/C. You can get some odd effects when you apply your soldering iron to them but don't be a wimp about it..
They are listed as 'organic' in the service manual. Absolute Tosh.....iba! John.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 8:33 pm   #11
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

Ordering them now thank you.

Yah that static like burn in I guess is normal you can faintly see a bit on bright flat colors in games like super Mario. The tube itself seems to be in great shape. I'm going to take a tester to it later and see what the meter says.

I've already had another woah comment from a guest about its wonderful 70's mustard yellow color.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 2:49 am   #12
ct92404
Pentode

I don't know anything about that tv, but I just had to say it looks pretty cool...and dare I say a cute little tv!

Did you have an original Nintendo hooked up to it? Is that Zelda?
Old 12th Feb 2018, 8:46 am   #13
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

Yep original nes and zelda ended up playing it for an hour.

The crazy part was it's original battery backup in zelda was still holding 2 save files
with the 3rd having been lost from low power\corruption but for 30 years geez

It's going to be used for the atari 2600 (witch is period correct)
or the original nes.

I ended up blowing most of the dust out of the set today it has little cards you can remove and there labeled thats kinda of nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_232634[1].jpg
Views:	283
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	157244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_233807[1].jpg
Views:	186
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	157245   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_232625[1].jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	157246  
Old 12th Feb 2018, 1:24 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, if you know your video game history, the original NES has a pretty good claim to be the direct spiritual descendant of the Atari 7800 (and therefore, 2600) consoles. Atari and Nintendo had worked together on a copyright-abuse scheme to lock out independent developers from producing their own cartridges for the 7800's successor (although Atari did not stay in the game long enough to make use of it), and the 8-bit processor in the NES is an evolution of the MOS 6502 which (in cut-down 6507 form) powered the 2600.

I don't know about the situation in Canada, but certainly in the UK portable TVs -- especially colour ones; for a long time, "portable" pretty much implied "monochrome" -- were fairly expensive items; enough for it to have been normal to hold on to one for as long as it worked, so the NES might not really be such a major anachronism.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 8:44 am   #15
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

I was born in 83
It was similar in Canada growing up we had a late 60's Zenith color tube tv in the basement and a early 80's Philips that lasted us till around 1998.

as a kid i wanted nothing more then a small color set for my room (to play nes ) i ended up with a Radio Shack 4.5” B&W Television Portable
and later a larger blue colored black and white Panasonic. I found being tossed out during clean up week (it's one day a year where you can toss out most items and the garbage men will pick it up)

my dad did buy a color portable tv from a friend but it was broken with a collapsed screen. he never got around to getting it fixed.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:30 pm   #16
andrewn
Pentode

I had a similar Toshiba back in the 90s. It was bought second-hand. The case was cream rather than yellow and it didn't have a swivel base. I remember it being very heavy compared to other portables. It had electronic channel selection but that went faulty with it being stuck on channel 1. I spent many hours trying to repair it but came to the conclusion the control IC had failed which was unobtainable.
One word of warning, I managed to snap off one of the rotary controls when tipping the set onto its face to remove the rear cover. They were pull/push switched types which (at the time) were hard to obtain.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 8:22 am   #17
Jordant
Retired Dormant Member

yah that base on mine has no screws the tv just rests on it with nothing holding it on. ill keep your advise in mind
I think im going to use it for the nes like julie said it's in the time period
just need to find a manual with a list of capacitors to order
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:26 pm   #18
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordant View Post
just need to find a manual with a list of capacitors to order
I really wouldn't do that if I were you, you'll only make it worse. Japanese components of that era are very high in quality, they really don't make them like that any more. Unless you can see any capacitors which are obviously crusty or discoloured, or there are any actual faults, its best to leave them alone. Correct diagnosis is always preferable to random (and largely needless) component replacement.

The horizontal picture shift will be due to the computer game unit outputting a signal whose timings don't exactly match broadcast standards, you can cure that by adjusting the line phase control in the set slightly. These sets have their picture geometry fixed by the design of the scan coils, if the picture looks a little curved then that's just the way it is.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 8:28 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Don't disturb it too much! You might give it a heart attack.
CRT label 6F June 1976.
Internals very similar to UK C400B. J.
Closed Thread