UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2017, 5:14 am   #1
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Auto-detecting 405 line video monitor.

I thought is would be a good Christmas project to make use of a small open frame industrial video monitor and turn it into a handy workshop monitor.

So I installed internal mains psu, made an outer cladding/case for it, arranged external controls and designed a 405 line detector circuit, so as to have it display either 525/625 or 405 line images.

The article that describes how I did it and the theory behind the scan conversion is here:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/Autode...e_monitor..pdf

I have attached a few images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40512.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	154695   Click image for larger version

Name:	40510.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	154696   Click image for larger version

Name:	4058.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	154697   Click image for larger version

Name:	4054.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	154698   Click image for larger version

Name:	4053.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	154699  

Old 30th Dec 2017, 6:34 pm   #2
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Auto-detecting 405 line video monitor.

Nice conversion / modification Hugh ...... Note... when I was in HK.. it was HK Airport - Shenzhen........ Shenzhen - Airport... Home..... No trolling around electronic shops for me.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 2:57 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Love it Hugo, really ingenious as well as practical and this converter is def gong on my ‘to build’ list.
Also there is much on pages 5 and 9 relevant to the thread on current and waveforms and you demonstrate eg the sawtooth from a transistor square wave drive and later discuss current analytically on p8. It is superbly documented as always!

Great start to the New YEar !

Thanks Hugo !
Old 5th Jan 2018, 6:27 am   #4
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Al,

Thanks for those kind remarks.

I have also just updated the article, I found a way to eliminate the H linearity error. It simply required adjustment of the S correction capacitor (yoke coupling capacitor) to allow for the longer scan period.

(some multi-standard CRT monitors switch in different values with mosfets) The scan linearity now on 405 vs 625 line mode is practically identical. It also meant the width control/yoke circuit inductance requires no adjustment between modes which frees up a set of relay contacts to switch in the S correction cap.

Updated article : http://worldphaco.com/uploads/Autode...e_monitor..pdf
Closed Thread