UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old Today, 6:01 am   #101
slidertogrid
Heptode

Default 1960's TV set in "Back in time for tea"

Did anyone see the BBC2 programme "Back in time for tea" last night? The family's TV set appeared to be a real working set. I think it was a Ferguson (Flight?) the one with the controls on the top.
Usually on this type of program the picture on the period TV set is either not seen or is an obvious superimposed one.
This set however had a somewhat milky slightly over bright picture and on a fleeting shot I am sure I could see the line structure of the picture suggesting it really was 405 lines..
Did anyone else see this or was it wishful thinking on my part?
I watched the program at my parents house I don't know if they have recorded it I will check later when I visit and if so I will see if I can get any pictures of the set. It looked in mint condition as new in fact.

Rich.
Old Today, 9:15 am   #102
Stockden
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

No, I saw it too. As it happens next week's Radio Times has this to say about the series:

"We work with a fantastic man who buys old TVs, radios, gramaphones and lovingly restores and rewires them in his workshop so you can plug an mp3 or iPod into it. He sourced everything for us. You can run an old black and white TV programme on a DVD plugged into that TV so it feels like you're actually watching television from that era".

Hugh
Stockden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06 am   #103
Brigham
Heptode

Something in there I don't like the sound of. Maybe it's just me.
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:27 am   #104
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

STV in White City used to supply sets years ago. I am afraid I used to do them for him (George Appter) if I have spelt the surname correctly.

Many fitted with Steepletone chassis!
Old Today, 2:40 pm   #105
AC/HL

However they did what they had to do for a TV programme aimed at the general public it worked. I thought I caught a glimpse of line structure too.
Old Today, 2:51 pm   #106
McMurdo
Nonode

AFAIK the TVs are supplied by the Vintage TV & Wireless Company of Norwich. The Ferguson on last night's episode of 'back in time for tea' is on the rental stock list in the 'fully practical' section (ie in working order).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferg.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	157923  

Last edited by McMurdo; Today at 3:07 pm.
McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote