UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2018, 12:28 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default 1924 tuning capacitor strange reading

Checking this tuning capacitor , which is clearly marked .0005uf only reads max 270pf . I have stripped it it was all gunged up with grease. gave it a good clean removed one layer of mica which was disintegrating, still only reads 270 max , has anyone had dealings with this type of capacitor?. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0006.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	157826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0007.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	157827  
Old 20th Feb 2018, 12:55 pm   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1924 tuning capacitor strange reading

I wonder if the original grease was acting a a dielectric and increasing the electrical capacity.

If that was the case, once you have cleaned all the old grease out, you could try adding new grease. Probably the microscopic surfaces of the remaining mica sheets are impregnated with hydrocarbon based grease that was on it originally, so silicone grease would be a bad choice. You could try re-greasing it with automotive bearing grease.

Of course there could be other explanations for the loss of capacity.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 1:13 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

I thought about that, unless something as happened to the original grease, causing low capacitance. Just checked the other capacitor it reads low just the same! Just about to check the meter with a fixed cap.

Cheers, Mick.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 2:16 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Looks like Argus 25 was on the right path I plastered both sides of the rotor with the only car grease I have Ovoline 85 ep2 means nothing to me , but it has increased the reading to 340pf Is there a known grease to use ? Mick.
Closed Thread