UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2018, 12:17 am   #1
Richard_FM
Octode

Default Sony LD-250B Portable CRT TV Screen Adjustment

I picked this set up at Golborne for only £5, complete with box & instructions.

After getting it home I found it still had a set of working batteries inside & turning it on it power up straight away.

It doesn't have an external aerial connection but does have an AV one. Luckily I had the right 3.5mm mono jack to 2 RCA adaptor & got a nice sharp picture from a digital source.

The only problem is the picture is slightly misaligned, especially noticeable at the top of the picture.

Does anyone have any experience of working on these sets? as I didn't want to start poking about inside without first knowing what I should be doing & making things worse.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 12:50 am   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Sony LD-250B Portable CRT TV Screen Adjustment

Do you mean Sony FD-250B ? Handheld "pocket" TV as seen here:

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/sony/fd250b/fd250b.htm

As the description says, the picture seems to be at a slight angle, not exactly straight. I've also got one of these miniature TVs and it's the same - I guess it's a design feature, not a fault.

As an aside, the stand is not missing from the TV in the above link, despite what the description says. The carrying strap is threaded through a small piece of plastic with the word SONY moulded into it. This piece fits into the slot in the back of the unit marked STAND IN and forms the stand.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 11:02 am   #3
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Sony LD-250B Portable CRT TV Screen Adjustment

Because of the geometry of the tube these never give a perfectly straight picture. They were intended for occasional light entertainment use, they are not a studio monitor! The earlier ones have loads of adjustments to try and stretch the picture into shape but they gradually got rid of them as the designs progressed. If it works I'd leave it, the insides of these are very fragile so it is very easy to make things worse.

UK versions don't have an antenna input, although here is normally a recess somewhere in the moulding for it and a place for the socket on the PCB inside. I wonder if this was to avoid the need for a licence in the UK by making the set completely self contained? It is often easy to add a socket if you wish, but a crocodile clip from the centre core of a coax feeder around the rod antenna is just as effective.
Closed Thread