UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:20 am   #1
Max Ripple
Pentode

Default Marconiphone 44514 info

I'm repairing this rather nice unit,but I can't find any tech info on it anywhere!

It's a compact table top unit comprising of radio and record player.

The stereo radio reception is particularly impressive,and the output amplifier seems to be quite powerful too.
Oddly,(for early 'seventies?)equipment this unit is fitted with a magnetic pu cartridge,although it doesn't seem to be original equipment fit. Fitted to a Garrard 2025tc seems to be a bit optimistic too?

I'm intrigued,and would like to find out the spec. As it's from the BRC stable,perhaps there is a Ferguson or HMV equivalent model?

Any info appreciated.

Nick
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:11 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone 44514 info

Whilst there are some who have successfully used a magnetic cartridge in an autochanger, the tone arm head on the 2025TC is exceptionally narrow and would require a bit of faffing. It is surprising that there is sufficient stage-gain in the amplifier for this. I'm sure it would have originally come with a non-magnetic cartridge such as an Acos GP96/1.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 1:22 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Photos of the chassis and cabinet may help someone identify a similar model.
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 5:30 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

My super x-ray eyes have seen a picture of this unit on-line and it's got a Goldring G850 fitted to it. If you look hard enough you'll see it too
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 5:54 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

There seem to be pics of one with 2025TC and another with some sort of parallelogram armed changer.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:41 am   #6
Max Ripple
Pentode

Indeed.I remember that they (Garrard 2025tc)usually came fitted with Sonotone 9ta,or Acos GP104,which were probably the best of the bunch among ceramic pu's,although the Decca ones were pretty impressive too!
I can't imagine that the compliance of the arm of the '2025 is adequate for a magnetic pu?I wonder if in fact this unit was originally fitted with a Garrard SP25 chassis,which of course was the "standard hi-fi" deck at the time?
I'll try and sort some photo's of the internals to aid id as suggested.
Thanks for replies
Old 24th Mar 2019, 3:25 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here's a scan of the 1972 Marconiphone brochure for the model 4451. I think the extra 4 at the end on the model number may indicate a change of record deck/cartridge, as looking on the web, more than one type of deck is shown for the 44514.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconiphone 4451 stereo radio record player with separate speakers - cropped.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	180384  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 11:28 am   #8
Max Ripple
Pentode

Thanks for that, that's definitely the unit, although I don't recognise the record deck.

The plot thickens, as I have connected a Technics deck with integral technics magnetic PU to the unit and it sounds super.

This confirms at least that the amplifier has a low level RIAA preamp,and also that the 2025 record deck can't be the original? Curiouser and curiouser?
Closed Thread