UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:21 am   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: What is it - Enigma related??

Looks like RN blue or power station blue to me.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:37 am   #22
The Philpott
Dekatron

I have been itching to speculate that it is part of the control gear for a naval table-top type gun laying computer.. But how would that get into a car boot sale?

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:43 am   #23
Electronpusher0
Nonode

It is a light blue, slightly greenish in tint, quite like some paint we have labeled "sage"

Peter
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:46 pm   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I have been itching to speculate that it is part of the control gear for a naval table-top type gun laying computer.. But how would that get into a car boot sale?

Dave

Via surplus sale, someone's death and a house clearance would be a likely route........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Feb 2019, 4:43 pm   #25
Stockden
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Surely, navy blue is very much darker.
Navy Blue (as used on uniforms) is indeed very much darker but much of the electronic equipment used by all 3 services was painted in (iirc) "Light Admiralty Grey", which actually looks pale blue to most of us.

Hugh
Old 6th Feb 2019, 5:24 pm   #26
The Philpott
Dekatron

It manages somehow be far more intimidating and claustrophobic than 'Fuselage interior green' which I had to mix myself for a 1:72 scale Lancaster, because bizarrely Revell don't produce anything even close!

Until someone mentioned power stations it hadn't clicked- it is quite close to the colour of the old control panels at Bradwell.

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2019, 8:40 pm   #27

There is navy blue, a dark blue and naval blue a light greyish blue that ships get painted in.

Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:06 pm   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for the distinction between navy blue and naval blue - that's something new I've learned.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:30 pm   #29
Hartley118
Nonode

To add to the portfolio, as Stockden mentions, there's also the 'light Admiralty grey' equipment colour, which is not grey at all, but a light green with a bluish tinge.

Martin
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:03 pm   #30
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
To add to the portfolio, as Stockden mentions, there's also the 'light Admiralty grey' equipment colour, which is not grey at all, but a light green with a bluish tinge.

Martin
Which describes the colour of these pieces perfectly.

I used to install turbine monitoring equipment in power stations and that was a bluer tint.

Peter
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:58 pm   #31
Hartley118
Nonode

I'm no expert on this, but I recall that in the 1940s and 1950s, the navy used some remarkable fire control computers to ensure correct range and bearing of the main guns on a frigate or destroyer. Essentially, the computer would be the link between optical and radar directors and the guns themselves.

As this was before the advent of digital computers, analogue processing (valve-based of course) was combined with ingenious electromechanical counting devices to do the necessary sums.

I just wonder whether you've picked up a component of one of these systems.

There's a general trainee's guide to fire control at https://maritime.org/doc/firecontrol/index.htm .

Martin
Old 7th Feb 2019, 12:22 am   #32
RobinBirch
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
It manages somehow be far more intimidating and claustrophobic than 'Fuselage interior green' which I had to mix myself for a 1:72 scale Lancaster, because bizarrely Revell don't produce anything even close!

Until someone mentioned power stations it hadn't clicked- it is quite close to the colour of the old control panels at Bradwell.

Dave
It's actually very difficult to get anyone agree on what Fuselage Interior Green actually is. I have a recipe that I copied of the inside of an ex RAF glider but nobody knows what one of the components actually is If you go inside the Lincoln that's in Cosford and look at the tail it's one shade and the fuselage is another! Plenty of ex RAF aircraft that I've seen are multi shades of green in side. Makes live annoying.
Closed Thread