UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:13 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default My version of a Simple Valve Tester

Hello everyone,

I thought I might add my two penny worth by including my version of the simple valve tester of which I believe has been constructed by many fellow radio enthusiasts. I have included photos of what mine looks like (the chassis was formerly a solid state oscilloscope) and also the original circuit diagram used to build from, also there is a schematic of the switch assembly and each centre contact of each switch relates to the pin number of the valve socket and the anode, grid, grid 2, grid 3, cathode, and heaters from the supplies of the tester are wired to these switches so that any combination /valve can be checked. Hope this is useful to someone, perhaps a beginner.

Cheers, Ken Switch Diagram.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Brew Valve Tester 010.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	82202

Name:	Home Brew Valve Tester 007.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	82203

Name:	Home Brew Valve Tester 005.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	82204
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:23 pm   #2
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Continued Home Brew Valve Tester

Hello folks,

Lets see if I can upload the rest of the valve tester I constructed,

regards KenSimple Construction Of A Valve Tester.doc

Name:	Home Brew Valve Tester 006.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	82207

Name:	Home Brew Valve Tester 003.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	82208
Old 23rd Jul 2013, 12:40 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: My version of a Simple Valve Tester

Threads merged
Old 6th Aug 2013, 8:44 am   #4
FrankB
Heptode

Thank you for posting the schematic for this simple tester.
I have been looking to build something similar to test the many transmitting tubes I have.

I suspect I could use an 807 for the EM81 tube and vary the B+ as needed for the tubes to at least get an idea of the state of their emission, as the transmitting tubes draw a bit more than receiving types.

Since my junkbox is well stocked with various voltage filament transformers, this could end up being a massive rack mounted project, and using a rotary selector switch to trip relays to provide the high current for the various needs of the transmitting tube filaments. I salvaged some nice 25 position switches from old computer network selector boxes that would work nicely.

Have you thought of using the filament transformer out of a defunct tube tester for your filament supply? The various voltages could be addressed with a high current rotary switch for the receiving types (out of an old military radio- possibly an old antenna selecting switch), as the normal rotary switches typically available here only have a rating of 1/4 to 1/2 amp. Of course, using relays is always an option. One could also build a patch panel and use the large, high current banana plugs and jacks to switch the filament voltages too.

Many of the TV sets have 5 amp contact relays in them, so that might be an option from the sets destined for the garbage dump.

BTW the old transformers out of defunct tube testers are great for building multi voltage power supplies for the old battery radios too.
Old 26th Oct 2013, 6:57 pm   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Another Part to Valve Tester

Hi

Sorry folks but system will not allow me to up load the rest of it, if anyone wishes to have to detail and circuits used then please either pm me or e mail

Regards

Ken
Old 26th Oct 2013, 7:29 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Ken,
Are you trying to edit your existing posts?
You can't do that (after about 10 minutes or so), just post a reply with your new information.
Old 19th Oct 2014, 4:47 pm   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

I thought everyone might like a quick look at my version 2 of this valve tester, this one I built in a wall mounted mail box, although not quite complete, one or two teething problems, this one has a 5V 6.3V and 12V heater supply and the HT is variable using a solid state device. so here is some pictures, circuit details later.

regards

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve Tester(home brew) 001.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	98953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Tester(home brew) 002.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	98954   Click image for larger version