UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2009, 12:41 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Homemade Audio Mixer

Recently got out of the loft and offered on this site for free and going to Graham (Ilama)

I thought I'd post pictures on here and link it to the sets offered section and vice versa.

Mods if this is against the rules please delete and let me know.

I built this mixer back in 1977/1978, I was still in college at the time.

It was once used as a mixer for turntables before i built my own disco unit in 1982 and was also used for sound at a couple of amateur plays.

I'm afraid I don't have any circuits or notes for this, but will endeavor to answer any questions.

I have taken a few photo's as its going to be my last memory of it before it goes to Graham who hopefully will be able to do something with it.

These are pictures of the top of the mixer.

At the time there was an electronics shop in London's Edgware Road called HL Smith, anyone remember them?

In the early days (long before my time) they supplied chassis and valve amplifier kits, and in my days that cut and shaped aluminum to size and shape.

You can take the top cover off but you have to undo every knob first!!

More pictures of the underneath to follow.

Here is a link to my thread in sets offered: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37446
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 008.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	23219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 009.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 010.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	23221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 011.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	23222  
Old 18th Feb 2009, 12:49 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Homemade Audio Mixer

And here are some pictures of the underside.

All boards and modules were designed by myself, at first using one of those etching pens, drawing directly onto the copper clad board which was then etched.

Then at college we used the black tape and black circles which were bought from Maplin.

I think the power supply went through a revision the original transformer wasn't a toroidal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mixer 002.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	23223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 003.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	23224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 004.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	23225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 005.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	23226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixer 007.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	23227  

Old 18th Feb 2009, 12:51 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

The last picture is the back of the unit which shows the smaller VU meter drive circuits on their plug in boards, each board carried the drive for 2 meters and led's.

Now can anyone guess what inspired that design?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mixer 006.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	23228  
Old 18th Feb 2009, 4:49 pm   #4
yestertech
Nonode

Wow - that's one hell of an impressive home made item...
Well done that man !
Yes, I recall HL Smith - you could take in some measurments spend 1/2 hour pottering around the rest of the Edgware rd shops and come back and collect your new chassis from them - what a service !
The last time I saw their shop was in the late 90's - still there, all boarded up with assorted vegitation growing out of the gaps .
Very sad !
As ever, supply and demand.

Andy
Old 18th Feb 2009, 5:32 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
That's quite a machine! You could have kept quiet and said it was a commercial unit in a home-made case and we wouldn't have been any the wiser.
Were you a fan of the A77 by any chance? The layout of those presets looks quite familiar, except yours won't spring apart as soon as you look at them....
Glyn
Old 19th Feb 2009, 10:32 am   #6
arjoll
Dekatron

Nicely done! My dad made a mixer in the late 70's, nowhere near as complex though. His was based on the ETI (Australia) "Master Mixer" which used the LM382 preamp chip, one per two channels, and metal can 741's. All on Veroboard, connected with looms of hookup wire all laced together!

He had 6 channels, grouped to three sliders, so he could pan left/right and use one fader for a stereo pair.

How is your EQ done? Dad never built the ETI one, it used custom wound inductors.

The casework is nice. He never did manage to get the hang of drilling holes in a straight line. I seemed to have inherited that trait
Old 19th Feb 2009, 10:39 am   #7
Michael Maurice

Hi Arjoll,

I think I used a version of the ETI design, I seem to remember using an LM380 or LM381.

The EQ was done using home made wound coils, i cant remember how effective it was, my disco that i built much later used an 'electronic' coil based around some op amps.

I also couldn't drill in straight lines, if you look at the knobs they've all got skirts on them!

I was making provision for a compander as well which is why there are eight holes with nothing in them.

I also put in an audio limiter which was based on my college project and was also my first project to be published in Practical Wireless June 1980.

Later I'll start another thread on this.
Closed Thread