UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2018, 6:59 pm   #1
recoil325
Retired Dormant Member

Default Murphy A242 Deluxe help.

Looking for some help on a Murphy A242.

Could some one tell me if C71 5uF is a polarised or non polarised electrolytic capacitor? The one that's in it is in a bit of a state and I can't see any markings for + or -. The poor schematic I have shows it as a polarised one but I just wanted to check .

I mainly work on ham/CB radio equipment, so this kind of stuff is a bit different to me, not really played with something this old.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 7:25 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Murphy A242 Deluxe help.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

In vintage sets any capacitor over 1uF will be a polarized electrolytic type.

That is the case here. C71 (Manufacturer's sheet) is a 5uF electrolytic capacitor.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 7:35 pm   #3
recoil325
Retired Dormant Member

thanks graham

im new to these old valve sets so just wanted confirmation .I picked this up cheap at a radio rally I wanted something different as a project . I like the sound of these old radios so it may be the start of another collection of equipment .

thanks for letting me join this forum

rob
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:23 am   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I am sure Graham is correct, but I can understand why you thought it might have been non-polarized.

Is the purpose of R45 to keep C71 happy by introducing a DC bias?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bal mod.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	164440  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 1:49 am   #5
marconi_pete
Hexode

As Graham has mentioned, almost all caps above 1uf in vintage sets will be polarised electrolytics. If the markings on the cap are obscured and the polarity is unknown. The general rule of thumb is that if one side of the cap goes to chassis it's almost always going to be the negative end.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 12th Jun 2018, 4:43 am   #6
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

C71 is the Ratio Detector Stabilising Capacitor and is an essential part of the (complex!) operation of the ratio discriminator!

The use of a separate 6D2 double–diode means it's not necessary to use an unbalanced (DC load–wise!) circuit as is necessary with the EABC 80 T.D.T. valve, where the common valve cathode to two of the valve diodes means the positive side of the load has to be earthed!

R45 is deliberately added to unbalance the circuit slightly to improve the a.m. impulse–noise rejection, e.g., from thunderstorms., etc. (in intercarrier–sound 6 Mc/s TV sound ratio discriminators this component was almost always added, usually preset, as it can be set to minimise "inter-carrier" buzz).

You can use a 4u7 plastic–film capacitor to replace C71 but a modern axial electrolytic (105°C!!!) is perfectly adequate for this use!

Chris Williams
Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:21 pm   #7
recoil325
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a service manual for the radio as all I have is the schematic?

Rob
Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:58 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Manufacturer's manual: https://www.service-data.com/product...05/5128/m13905
Old 14th Jun 2018, 1:16 pm   #9
Tim
Dekatron

I'm sure Murphy considered any polarity issues in the original design. If you don't have one handy, you could try two 10ufs "back to back" (each positive to each cathode and the two negative ends connected together). There is probably not much DC across it in reality, as each end seems to be taken to chassis via an equal value resistor.

Manual available on the service data page at the top right.

Ta-da!
https://www.service-data.com/product...05/5128/m13905

Very reasonable prices and money earned supports this forum.
Old 14th Jun 2018, 1:35 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I suppose it depends on what you mean by not much voltage across it, on strong signals in valve VHF FM sets I have seen 30-40 volts across the stabilising capacitor, the manual states 50Vdc working so I would fit a 4.7ufd 63vdc working electrolytic or something near that size that you may have in your spares.
Old 14th Jun 2018, 5:48 pm   #11
recoil325
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again everyone.
I've used a 4.7uf 63v electrolytic and it seems ok, will sort out getting the service manual soon.
Also need to track down a magic eye tube. I believe the EM34 is a replacement for the 6M2, and probably easier to get hold of.
Closed Thread