UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2014, 1:51 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Advice on design for homebrew receiver

Hi
Attached is a CAD picture of the homebrew unit I am building to initially house a simple 3-valve TRF, but into which I later want to place an adapted 6-valve or 8-valve superhet with the components on show (clear Perspex back panel) including nice large valves arranged in a V-6 or V-8 arrangement.

The receiver will stand 20 inches tall, 8 inches wide at the base and 14 inches wide at the widest point, and 6 to 8 inches deep.

I have no difficulty in making the cabinet (which will be veneered plywood sat on a solid hardwood base), it's well within my capabilities. However, at this stage I could do with two pieces of advice:

1. Can anyone recommend a suitable tuning screen and tuning mechanism from a domestic 3-band receiver which I could incorporate? It will be much easier to plunder/copy something already in existence than design from scratch.
2. Are there any forum members whom I could commission to make a custom steel chassis for the receiver?

Thanks

Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Radio model 01.pdf (262.3 KB, 207 views)
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 5:26 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice on design for homebrew receiver

Hi Nick, you may find an Aluminium chassis is easier to get and has the advantage of being rustproof. You can probably get a dial and bits through the forum, but do you want an "airplane" or "slide-rule" type?
The drive pulley is attached to the cap I sent you and I can probably find you some little idler pulleys if needed. This should transfer to a 3 gang type if you go for an RF stage later on.
It should be possible to make your own "Radio Nick" dial and print in colours on clear acetate, then fit to glass.

Nice looking concept drawing.

Mail me if you are still looking for an EKCO battery eliminator.

Cheers, Ed
Closed Thread